Converting time - from "seconds after midnight"

• sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/7/2016)

sgmunson (12/6/2016)

As painful as that is, a book in any body cavity is going to be more painful and for a lot longer than it takes to waste your time. That said, I do hear ya... management seems to love making foolish choices, despite clear evidence that it's a bad idea.

OK, if body cavity does not work for you - you can always opt for a tooth cavity.

I'm going to assume your teeth are one heck of a lot larger than mine... given that you think that inserting a book inside of a cavity in one of them is a viable option... never mind getting that book inside your mouth to begin with... 😉

Not teeth, just cavities.

🙂

• Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/7/2016)

sgmunson (12/6/2016)

As painful as that is, a book in any body cavity is going to be more painful and for a lot longer than it takes to waste your time. That said, I do hear ya... management seems to love making foolish choices, despite clear evidence that it's a bad idea.

OK, if body cavity does not work for you - you can always opt for a tooth cavity.

I'm going to assume your teeth are one heck of a lot larger than mine... given that you think that inserting a book inside of a cavity in one of them is a viable option... never mind getting that book inside your mouth to begin with... 😉

🙂

Wow... talk about a hole in your head... (sorry, but just couldn't resist... temptation was too great) 😉 😉 😉

• sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/7/2016)

sgmunson (12/6/2016)

🙂

Wow... talk about a hole in your head...

which particular one?

(sorry, but just couldn't resist... temptation was too great) 😉 😉 😉

You see, that's one of the advantages - no offense can hit me.

They all go straight through.

• Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/7/2016)

sgmunson (12/6/2016)

🙂

which particular one?

Whichever one happens to contain the following:

1.) An opening large enough to pass a book through, even if force is necessary, but excluding those where no amount of force is going to be small enough to leave the opening and the body part it's attached to largely intact, even if in a "somewhat the worse for wear" state.

2.) A cavity within the above opening large enough to house a book, even if force and pain are required.

Said hole must already exist, and whatever part of the body it's attached to must also be large enough to house the book in it's entirety.

As tooth cavities for 99.999999% of the world's population are always located inside their mouths, which are primarily located on their heads, ergo, the conclusion that your head is a LOT larger than mine.

However, if something like a book would pass straight through, then maybe it's your spokesperson that's posting, on account of the holes in your head being so large that they've allowed the brains to leak out... And that just might be a bigger problem than having a book in your mouth, or perhaps, just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, where problems are concerned. 😉 😉 😉

• sgmunson (12/9/2016)

Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/7/2016)

sgmunson (12/6/2016)

🙂

which particular one?

1.) An opening large enough to pass a book through, even if force is necessary, but excluding those where no amount of force is going to be small enough to leave the opening and the body part it's attached to largely intact, even if in a "somewhat the worse for wear" state.

2.) A cavity within the above opening large enough to house a book, even if force and pain are required.

Said hole must already exist, and whatever part of the body it's attached to must also be large enough to house the book in it's entirety.

As tooth cavities for 99.999999% of the world's population are always located inside their mouths, which are primarily located on their heads, ergo, the conclusion that your head is a LOT larger than mine.

However, if something like a book would pass straight through, then maybe it's your spokesperson that's posting, on account of the holes in your head being so large that they've allowed the brains to leak out... And that just might be a bigger problem than having a book in your mouth, or perhaps, just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, where problems are concerned. 😉 😉 😉

You must not allow physical properties of the so-called "real world" to root so deeply into your mind.

Especially if developing software is what you do for living.

🙂

I'd recommend you to revisit "Alice in Wonderland".

I mean the book, not the movie.

(Tim Burton was brilliant, as usual, but still - not close enough)

Remember - the book was written by a mathematician, and mathematics is what defines the essential rules the world we live in is based on.

I believe this exercise will help you to easily fit the book into a cavity of a missing tooth.

🙂

• Sergiy (12/11/2016)

sgmunson (12/9/2016)

Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/7/2016)

sgmunson (12/6/2016)

🙂

which particular one?

You must not allow physical properties of the so-called "real world" to root so deeply into your mind.

🙂

Remember - the book was written by a mathematician, and mathematics is what defines the essential rules the world we live in is based on.

I believe this exercise will help you to easily fit the book into a cavity of a missing tooth.

🙂

I hear you, but as I am constantly confronted with people who are trying to live somewhere other than the real world, failing, and expecting me to fix it, I make a living remaining stoicly in the real world, 24x7, 365... It's considerably more profitable than engaging in their flights of fancy, and gets far better results for everyone involved...

• sgmunson (12/11/2016)

Sergiy (12/11/2016)

sgmunson (12/9/2016)

Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/7/2016)

sgmunson (12/6/2016)

🙂

which particular one?

🙂

🙂

I hear you, but as I am constantly confronted with people who are trying to live somewhere other than the real world, failing, and expecting me to fix it, I make a living remaining stoicly in the real world, 24x7, 365... It's considerably more profitable than engaging in their flights of fancy, and gets far better results for everyone involved...

From the movie, "War Games"...

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• sgmunson (12/11/2016)

Sergiy (12/11/2016)

sgmunson (12/9/2016)

Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/8/2016)

sgmunson (12/8/2016)

Sergiy (12/7/2016)

sgmunson (12/6/2016)

🙂

which particular one?

🙂

🙂

That was a good one!

You could not possibly be serious about it.

Remaining in real world is more profitable than... What?

Church?

"Dream Factory"?

Haute Couture?

You must be kidding me.

What "real world" use can justify a purchase of 300k Maserati?

85% of Russians believe that the whole world is waiting for an opportune moment to conquer their prosper Motherland. And they are happy to sacrifice everything they've got, and their lives to their leader who is the only one who can protect them from the Western Evil.

$100 billion (by lowest estimations) per year return from the fake world of the Russian propaganda - are you sure you can match it?

But it's nothing comparing to the profits generated by the other "flights of fancy", mentioned above.

Where the "real world" people on this ladder?

All science books ever issued in the whole world were not as profitable as Harry Potter alone.

People don't need your real world.

They want you to make them feel happy.

And satisfying their actual needs is probably the most difficult and therefore the least profitable way to achieve that.

• Sergiy,

I honestly don't know what universe you're living in. Yes, there are LOTS of foolish people. Yes, lots of them want comfort instead of having to think or to act appropriately. But the numbers of such people occupying positions of power in the world that I live in is very small, and mostly, I make my living fixing the problems created when at some point in the past, one of the people that was NOT living in the real world was temporarily trusted as either a developer or a manager, and it's a good enough living to be better than what most folks make. Am I rich? No. Not even close. And even if I were, I would NOT buy an over-priced waste of money like a Maserati, Porsche, or Jaguar. I'm also pretty sure that Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes aren't in my future either, because as far as I'm concerned, those are just slightly less expensive versions of the stupidity associated with a $380,000 Maserati.

Please don't expect me to stop dealing with the real world. I have to solve real-world problems for people that for the most part, are also grounded in the real world, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. I'll leave selling snake oil to the slimy people in the sales departments. I want no part of it. So if that's the world you want to live in, go for it. Just leave me out of it.

• To repeat (emphasis mine):

Jeff Moden (12/11/2016)

• sgmunson (12/12/2016)

Sergiy,

I honestly don't know what universe you're living in.

Why? Anything what I said does not apply to your universe?

Yes, there are LOTS of foolish people. Yes, lots of them want comfort instead of having to think or to act appropriately.

You see - you agree with my point of view. Which means - we are in the same universe.

Probably even on the same planet.

But the numbers of such people occupying positions of power in the world that I live in is very small, and mostly, I make my living fixing the problems created when at some point in the past, one of the people that was NOT living in the real world was temporarily trusted as either a developer or a manager, and it's a good enough living to be better than what most folks make.

You see, you make living fixing their problems, not another way around.

And for that they share with you tiny portion of their wealth, which most likely comes not from solving real world problems.

Am I rich? No. Not even close.

And you say - what you do is most profitable activity.

Don't you find it a bit contradicting? 😉

And even if I were, I would NOT buy an over-priced waste of money like a Maserati, Porsche, or Jaguar. I'm also pretty sure that Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes aren't in my future either, because as far as I'm concerned, those are just slightly less expensive versions of the stupidity associated with a $380,000 Maserati.

That's your choice, your value preferences.

There is no right or wrong here.

Please don't expect me to stop dealing with the real world. I have to solve real-world problems for people that for the most part, are also grounded in the real world, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. I'll leave selling snake oil to the slimy people in the sales departments. I want no part of it. So if that's the world you want to live in, go for it. Just leave me out of it.

Why would I ask you to do that if I do the same kind of things in my life?

I would not be able to live in that funny world, no matter if I want it or not.

I just fall out of it pretty quickly.

But it does not mean that world does not exist.

Or should not exist.

Or my world is any better than that world.

And it definitely does not mean my world is more profitable than that world.

Matter of fact (real world reference!) - my (and your) world is miserable in terms of profitability, comparing to that world.

:w00t:

• Enough.

• Lynn Pettis (12/14/2016)

Enough.

Apparently not, if you keep coming back.

😛

• Lynn Pettis (12/12/2016)

To repeat (emphasis mine):

Jeff Moden (12/11/2016)

Have to emphasise the quote myself 😛 , awesome one.

----------------------------------------------------

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply