Copy Database

• I would like to know if there are any risks invoved in using Copy Database Wizard in 2005.

I am trying to make a copy of production databases (54) on to a development box and would like to create a job by using this wizard without interupting the production databases.

Using SQL 2005 Ent Edition.

• I would backup the databases and then restore them to new DBs on the dev server.

• I tend to do the backup and restore as well. The Copy Database task was flaky in 2000 and I never trusted it in 2005. Not sure you gain anything by it.

• Hi,

I would got with Backup and restore. Copy DB wizard is not a robust solution.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• Hi,

I had to do the same thing before few days. I tried to do that by copy database wizard in 2005 and it was faulty.

I heard truly that it has many bugs in it and shouldn't be trusted.

Then i did backup and restoring and it was perfect.

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• Actullay i have backup from redgate software and they do provide extraction utility to get the back up in native mode and so i can restore all db's from prod to DeV, but i would like to automate the whole process from a store proc .

1. select list of bak files from backup media

2. using cmd line extract them

3. restore native backup on to dev server

4. delete native backup (as it is uncompresed and takes lot of space)

5. select another back up file and restore (may using cursor for each db)

Thanks

• I use Idera's SQl Safe. Nice compression, fast backup and restore. Saved my bacon a few times.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.

• I am doing the steps as mentioned above using a t-sql and is working good but if i have to constantly update my dev databases with production, do you think mirroring would help me but i would not want to degrade my performance by setting up mirroring form prod to dev. any thoughts ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply