copying a disk backup to a new server

• I want to create a disk backup of a database and copy that backup to a new server where it will be restored. Of course, the new server has the same sort order and language parameters as the old. Any precautions I should take or proper steps would be much appreciated.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.

• Nope, its about as simple as that.

Andy

• Only gotcha is you need to use the WITH MOVE option if there is any physical path difference.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Or use EM to make that step easier to see what to do. But learn the BACKUP DATABASE method just so you understand what is happening.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• What if the backed up database is on SQl 7.0 and the restore to database is sql 2000. Will the copy and restore still work?

I know detach and attach works.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

• Yes, but not the other way around.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks Antares. Ultimately, I restored the 7.0 backup to the SQL 2000 server. The 7.0 backup was on another server, but I was able to create a share on it and reference it from the 2000 box.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply