Copying A Record With Childrent Records In Many Tables Using Cursors

• Hi everybody

I have around 6 tables connected using one to many relationship

I want to make a procedure where I supply the key of the parent record so that it makes a copy of it and all the related records

One solution I have is using cursors

But I think this is a frequent solution that has an efficient and easy solution

Am I right?

Thank you

• a much better solution is to use a set based operation; cursors are much slower.

you didn't provide any details, so here's a rough example:

by "copying", I'm assuming you mean to another table with the same structure...here i'm assuming a different database, but on the same server:

the advantage is this works for one parent and all it's children, or millions of parent records and all their children, and it performs much better than any cursor.

USE DEVELOPER --i'm assuming a different database

SET IDENTITY_INSERT PARENTTABLE ON

INSERT INTO PARENTTABLE(PARENTID,COL1,COL2,ETC)

SELECT PARENTID,COL1,COL2,ETC

FROM PRODUCTION.dbo.PARENTTABLE

WHERE DATEFIELD > (GETDATE() -180) --gotta decide which records

SET IDENTITY_INSERT PARENTTABLE OFF

SET IDENTITY_INSERT CHILDTABLE ON

INSERT INTO PARENTTABLE(CHILDID,PARENTID,COL1,COL2,ETC)

SELECT CHILDID,PARENTID,COL1,COL2,ETC

FROM PRODUCTION.dbo.CHILDTABLE

WHERE PARENTID

IN(SELECT PARENTID

WHERE DATEFIELD > (GETDATE() -180) )

SET IDENTITY_INSERT CHILDTABLE OFF

--repeat for each table

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thank you for the reply

This solution will not work in my case since each child table has other children tables connected to it

So my database is arranged as a tree of many levels, each table had an ID column and a ParentID column that links it to the parent table

Check the attached diagram please. I want to copy a record from tblBOQ to the same table with all the related records

• yes, it will still work, you just have to follow all of the nodes of the tree:

for example, say my "Childtable" has FK records to it:

it might not be obvious, but the Grandchild table needs the ChildIDs which still go out to the ParentID.

SET IDENTITY_INSERT GRANDCHILDTABLE ON

INSERT INTO PARENTTABLE(GRANDCHILDID,CHILDID,COL1,COL2,ETC)

SELECT GRANDCHILDID,CHILDID,COL1,COL2,ETC

FROM PRODUCTION.dbo.GRANDCHILDTABLE

WHERE CHILDID

IN(SELECT CHILDID FROM CHILDTABLE WHERE PARENTID IN(SELECT PARENTID

WHERE DATEFIELD > (GETDATE() -180) ) )

SET IDENTITY_INSERT GRANDCHILDTABLE OFF

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• if you can provide the actual CREATE TABLE statements for the tables in question, we could help you better;

sp_fkeys tblBOQ would give all the dependant tables to the table(is that the parent table?)

with the exception of grabbing metadata, I haven't never a solution that can be done in cursor that can not be done faster in a set based operation. when it comes to data, set based operations are the best practice.

Lowell

• The database has many levels

I've attached a script for recreating the database

Did you check the last attachment?

• Personally, I think Lowell has given you what you need to develop a set-based process for copying the records needed from one set of tables to another. I think it would be better to see what you put together instead of relying on members of SSC to do it for you.

Show us what you come up with and we'll see if it can be improved or not.

• Scripting this out is not all that difficult; I slapped together the examples just from the top of my head...you just have to do it one piece at a time....the devil is in the details.

Lynn is absolutely right when he said you've got to put in some effort on this, or hire a consultant to do it for you; an internet forum only helps with concepts and examples.

From the data you provided, I see you use a database named [CostControlSQL].

where is the data you want to copy getting copied to? where it the actual destination? another table? another schema? another database? another server?

I'll put together an example based on your schema for parent-child-grandchild so you can grasp the concept, but you originally said 6 tables, and the schema you provided has 27 tables....

you are not really expecting someone to code those 27 insert examples for you, are you? and you were going to try and do that in a cursor, I assume because you are a little more familiar with row by row processing?

Lowell

• Well, your answer made me look like a complete (grasshopper)!!

The code that he gave to me thankfully will not do the job

The following steps should take place, which I don't think are possible to implement without record sets and cursors:

Read the record to be copied

Insert it into the same table

Get the identity column value

foreach record in child1 where parentid = identity of parent record

{

insert new record in child1

get the identity column

foreach record in child2 where parentid = identity of child1 record

{

insert new record in child2

get the identity column

foreach record in child3 where parentid = identity of child2 record

{

insert new record in child3

get the identity column

}

}

}

• Lowell (7/21/2009)

Scripting this out is not all that difficult; I slapped together the examples just from the top of my head...you just have to do it one piece at a time....the devil is in the details.

Lynn is absolutely right when he said you've got to put in some effort on this, or hire a consultant to do it for you; an internet forum only helps with concepts and examples.

From the data you provided, I see you use a database named [CostControlSQL].

where is the data you want to copy getting copied to? where it the actual destination? another table? another schema? another database? another server?

I'll put together an example based on your schema for parent-child-grandchild so you can grasp the concept, but you originally said 6 tables, and the schema you provided has 27 tables....

you are not really expecting someone to code those 27 insert examples for you, are you? and you were going to try and do that in a cursor, I assume because you are a little more familiar with row by row processing?

1- I'm copying in the same tables

2- I'm not looking for somebody to code for me, I'm just looking for the concept

Please check the post above

• Ahmed Yarub Hani (7/21/2009)

Well, your answer made me look like a complete (grasshopper)!!

The code that he gave to me thankfully will not do the job

The following steps should take place, which I don't think are possible to implement without record sets and cursors:

Read the record to be copied

Insert it into the same table

Get the identity column value

foreach record in child1 where parentid = identity of parent record

{

insert new record in child1

get the identity column

foreach record in child2 where parentid = identity of child1 record

{

insert new record in child2

get the identity column

foreach record in child3 where parentid = identity of child2 record

{

insert new record in child3

get the identity column

}

}

}

Look into the OUTPUT command (new so 2005). It will allow you to do the insert in bulk like has been pointed out to you, but still get all of the new identity values back.

I have to agree with Lynn and Lowell - no need to use a cursor for this. You will end up with a MUCH better result if you steer clear of the cursor concept.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Okay, help us help you. Read the first article I reference below in my signature block.

Provide us with the DDL for the tables, sample data for the tables, expected results, and what you have done so far to solve your problem.

To make things easier, keep it to 2 or 3 tables. The concepts used there would be easy to expand to more tables.

• After spending 8 hours, 1 hour planning and 7 hours doing the same routine task, I finished and tested the procedure using cursors

This is an excerpt of copying three tables at different levels:

USE [CostControlSQL]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[subCopyBOQ] Script Date: 07/25/2009 08:15:42 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[subCopyBOQ]

@ChildID int

AS

DECLARE @BOQID int,

@GrandchildID int,

@TempFetch int

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

INSERT INTO tblBOQ (Project,Notes,JobNo,Shortname,Locked) SELECT Project,Notes,JobNo,Shortname,0 FROM tblBOQ WHERE ID=@ChildID

SET @BOQID = @@IDENTITY

DECLARE curBOQ CURSOR FOR

SELECT ID FROM tblBOQ_Sections WHERE BOQID=@ChildID;

OPEN curBOQ

FETCH curBOQ INTO @GrandchildID

SET @TempFetch=@@Fetch_Status

IF @TempFetch = 0 EXECUTE subCopyBOQSections @GrandchildID, @BOQID

WHILE @TempFetch = 0

BEGIN

IF @TempFetch = 0 EXECUTE subCopyBOQSections @GrandchildID, @BOQID

END

CLOSE curBOQ

DEALLOCATE curBOQ

SELECT ID FROM tblMachinery WHERE ParentID=@ChildID;

OPEN curBOQ

IF @TempFetch = 0 EXECUTE subCopyMachinery @GrandchildID, @BOQID

WHILE @TempFetch = 0

BEGIN

IF @TempFetch = 0 EXECUTE subCopyMachinery @GrandchildID, @BOQID

END

CLOSE curBOQ

DEALLOCATE curBOQ

SELECT ID FROM tblMonthlySpendings WHERE ParentID=@ChildID;

OPEN curBOQ

IF @TempFetch = 0 EXECUTE subCopyMonthlySpendings @GrandchildID, @BOQID

WHILE @TempFetch = 0

BEGIN

IF @TempFetch = 0 EXECUTE subCopyMonthlySpendings @GrandchildID, @BOQID

END

CLOSE curBOQ

DEALLOCATE curBOQ

END

Which calls the procedure:

USE [CostControlSQL]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[subCopyBOQSections] Script Date: 07/25/2009 08:16:47 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[subCopyBOQSections]

@ChildID int,

@ParentID int

AS

DECLARE @SectionID int,

@GrandchildID int,

@TempFetch int

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

INSERT INTO tblBOQ_Sections (BOQID,[Order],[SectionName],[SectionAmount],[Notes]) SELECT @ParentID,[Order],[SectionName],[SectionAmount],[Notes] FROM tblBOQ_Sections WHERE ID=@ChildID

SET @SectionID = @@IDENTITY

DECLARE curItems CURSOR FOR

SELECT ID FROM tblBOQ_Items WHERE SectionID=@ChildID;

OPEN curItems

FETCH curItems INTO @GrandchildID

IF @TempFetch = 0 EXECUTE subCopyBOQItems @GrandchildID, @SectionID

WHILE @TempFetch = 0

BEGIN

FETCH curItems INTO @GrandchildID

IF @TempFetch = 0 EXECUTE subCopyBOQItems @GrandchildID, @SectionID

END

CLOSE curItems

DEALLOCATE curItems

END

Which keeps on calling child tables until it reaches:

USE [CostControlSQL]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[subCopyLPOItems] Script Date: 07/25/2009 08:17:30 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

-- =============================================

-- Author:

-- Create date:

-- Description:

-- =============================================

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[subCopyLPOItems]

@ChildID int,

@ParentID int

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

INSERT INTO tblLPO_Items (LPOID,[CodeNo],[Description],Quantity,UnitPrice,Unit,Amount,LPORef) SELECT @ParentID,[CodeNo],[Description],Quantity,UnitPrice,Unit,Amount,LPORef FROM tblLPO_Items WHERE ID=@ChildID

END

Please reference the tree structure in previous posts

• I think that I provided all the required info

Can you give me any hint on implementing the same code using sets only?

• Ahmed Yarub Hani (7/25/2009)

I think that I provided all the required info

Can you give me any hint on implementing the same code using sets only?

What is the performance of your cursor based solution?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply