Copying database diagrams from one database to another

• I have 3 versions of the same database - one for development, one for user testing and one that is live.

There are more than 100 tables in the database and lots of database diagrams. I have only ever kept the diagrams up to date in the development database.

Is it possible to copy the diagrams from one database to another - or do I have to create them all again individually in each database?

Thanks for any input.

• Hi

Database diagrams are stored in the dtproperties table, you can use DTS to copy this data from one database to another.

Please let us know, if this doens't solve your purpose.

• Isn't it the sysdiagrams table? I've never done this, but if you try copying the table to another instance, make sure you have a backup of the destination database in case the databases aren't identical.

Greg

• One question, why can't you generate the Database diagrams on the Production Server when no one is accessing the database? Does is take too many resources and time?? I never done it, so curious to know. I normally use ERwin to design all the tables.

• Hi and thanks for your reply.

I'm just being lazy - I haven't bothered to create database diagrams in the Live and UAT servers - and figure it's about time I did.

• Hi,

I tried to execute the dtproperties and created it. Could you share me how to retain the relationship as source diagram? When i open the new databse diagram copied from source, all the relationship vanishes and table alone remains. Please advice me.

Thanks,

Gayathri

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply