Copying website/database to CD

•  hi !!!

I am kinda new to SQL Server. I need to move/copy my website a cd. The website is using SQL Server 2000. I dont know what to do. Also (adding to my depsair) the website is created in such a way that it should run from the cd on its own. Now this can happen only if I install MSDE on the CD (or at least this is what I think) so that the user would not have to install anything and would be able to browse the fully functional website offline. Please help.

Thanks.

• You will not be able to run SQL Server from a CD without installing anything on the user's computer. What you can do -- but I suspect that is not what you are looking for -- is have the database in a read-only copy on the CD. But that would still require the user to have SQL Server (any version including MSDE) installed on their computer, and the database would need to be attached to the server.

• Thank you for the reply

I found a sp_create_removable stored procedure which can probably work (but I am not sure since I've never used it). It creates the database on removeable media as read only. But then I am not certain if it would be compatible with my web pages or is there a way to make it compatible ? Please help.

Thank you again.

• That was what I was thinking of when I said you might be able to keep a read-only copy of your database files on a CD. But it still does not mean your users will not need to have SQL Server installed on their machines. In order to use the read-only database SQL Server must be installed and running on the computer.

Also, from Books Online regarding the sp_create_removable stored procedure:

Although the database itself is likely to remain on the read-only media, such as CD-ROM, the system tables and transaction log are placed in separate files on writable media so that management tasks can be accomplished, such as adding users to the database, granting permissions, and so on.

• Maybe this will help.

http://www.intorel.com/Products/ActiveSiteCompiler/whatsnew.asp

I have used Version 2 and 3 of this product over the last few years and it works brilliantly. That said, I was using an Access database copy of my sql server database in read only format as that was all this product supported back then. Version 4 supports MSDE though...

I have not used version 4 as yet.

HTH

Rob

• Thank you for your ereply.

I tried using ActiveSiteCompiler 4. But I have a problem. Every time I try to copy the webiste on the cd and run it on another computer it does not run. Am I missing something. I copy the complete folder on the CD including the .exe and the .bin file. Please help !!

Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply