corelated subquery to join query

• hi

please help wid this query

update [copy_orders]

set sumorders=(select sum(quantity) from [order details]  od

where od.orderid=[copy_orders].orderid

group by od.orderid )

above is a corelated subquery that updates the copy_orders table with sum of quantity in order details table where the orderId matches, can it be converted to a simple join qery ?

thanks

• Without having tested anything, I guess that the following query gives the same result:

update [copy_orders]

set sumorders=(select sum(quantity) from [order details]  od

where od.orderid=[copy_orders].orderid)

That's a simplification but still not a join

• I think that your requirement for row aggregation rules out a simple join query directly.  However, why not create a view of

select orderID, sum(quantity) from [order details] group by orderID

and then you can build your simple join using this view.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Or you could try this:

update c

set c.sumorders = t.sum

from copy_orders c inner join

(select orderid, sum(quantity) as sum from [order details] group by orderid) t

on c.orderid = t.orderid

• i like the idea , but isnt it same as the corelated subqueries ??

we cannot use the views as we are not dealing directly with the data and jus makin a generic function for it.

Amrita

• This is my understanding of a join query

Could you be more specific as to how you have access to data?

• This is not strictly a corelated subquery - the subquery runs independently of the outer query, as the subquery's results do not depend on values from the outer query.  I can't see how you're going to get any better.

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks, Phil, for this explanation - I didn't know what a corelated subquery was. I should also mention that my query is nothing but your view idea - except that I use a virtual table (I hope that's the correct word ) instead of a view.

• Hi Jesper

I was actually answering the previous message; not yours, which made perfect sense.  Your solution effectively replaces my view idea with a standard (non-corelated ?) subquery and is the best solution I can think of in this case.

Regards, Phil

• thanks for the query , this one seems to work nicely

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply