Correct Corrupted SQL Server 2008 Clustered installation using SlipStream

• Hi Experts,

I have encountered a rare (for me) situation during the SQL Server 2008 Cluster Installation.

The installation failed with the following error message.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Error Message:

The following error has occurred: There was an error setting private property ‘RequireKerberos’ to value ’1′ for resource ‘SQL Network Name (33SQLCluster)’. Error: Value does not fall within the expected range.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.0.1600.22&EvtType=0xDCFFB30D%25400X1251FB33

---------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft agrees that it is a known bug in the SQL Server 2008 setup files in the below article and they advise to use slipstream or CU to avoid this case.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955392

The difficult part is that registry information and binaries have been created in the server corresponding to the Server Name. So that I could not do a fresh install using the same 'ServerName' (Which is pretty much undesirable) again.

I have tried the SlipStream install on the server using the below server but that setups showing that the SQL Instance 'ServerName' already exists, so cannot proceed with it.

Question:

But how can I "cure" the problem here. Registry information and binaries have already been created corresponding to the 'ServerName'. I cannot overwrite the already existing 'SQL instance with Slip Stream.

Please Advise.

M

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1902

John

• Hello All,

After few days struggle, I have sorted out all the issues I had been facing in the SQL Server 2008 Cluster install on Windows 2008 R2 server.

First point/Prob - First installation cancelled due to problem in the setup program of SQL Server 2008 RTM version.

This left behind the information of instance names etc..in the registry, left behind binaries in the root directory.

As this is a production server, leaving behind the registry like this is no good and the intended instance name can't be used again. We can sort this out by going behind the registry fixes explained in various sites. If you are not sure it can lead to more prob.

So planned to uninstall the half installed 2008 instance from the server

-through Add/Remove programs

-Manually through command promt

Tried the repair option in the 'Maintenance' of SQL Server 2008 setup.

Then found the 'Remove Node' option in the Maintenance option that removes everything about 'Half Installed instance' from the server, even the registry information.

Now ready to for another 'try' of install with new weapona.k.a SLIPSTREAM method

As we know the SQL Server 2008 RTM setup program has a problem while installing on Windows 2008 R2, we used another method called Slip Stream Install.

Slip Stream install:

Extract the SQL Server 2008 server pack 1 file to any location ..say 'C:\SP1Extracted'.

Command for this for x64 system>

SQLServer2008SP1-KB968369-x64-ENU.exe /x:C:\SP1Extracted

Once extracted, run the sqlsupport.msi file from the extracted folder 'C:\SP1Extracted\x64\setup\1033\'

This will run the installation process for the SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files. Else the SP1 files wont be recognised by the setup program that we are going to try.

Then try the slip stream method using the below command>

setup.exe /PCUSource=C:\SP1Extracted

/PCUSource switch indicates the location of the extracted service pack files.

You have to be aware that this installation is coupled with the SQL Server 2008 service pack 1. So the product version after the installation would be '10.0.2531.00' i.e. the upgrade runs along withthe actual RTM install.

You must install the .NET Framework 3.51 prior to doing any SQL Server 2008 installation. And since Windows Server 2008 R2 comes with the .NET Framework 3.51, you can simply enable this feature by using the Add Role option and selecting the Application Server Role:

Link:

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1687

Always test before trying on production servers.

Cheers

Manoj

John

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply