Corrupt?? Or what is going on

• ok sorry for my misunderstanding but I thought that is why you do Log backups to commit the data to the DB and clear the transaction data from the Log file to prevent excessive growth.

I understand your comment on the log transaction being open and makes me wonder about the application that does these transactions. Maybe I need to put into the routine to also restart this application daily to kill the connection.

So bottom line you think the db itself is ok and I just need to figure out why the heck we are getting this continued log growth. Any suggestions would be great and I can move to a different topic if required.

• lawson2305 (5/28/2014)

ok sorry for my misunderstanding but I thought that is why you do Log backups to commit the data to the DB and clear the transaction data from the Log file to prevent excessive growth.

No.

When I get home I'll post my article on transaction logs (if someone doesn't do so first) and explain further.

So bottom line you think the db itself is ok and I just need to figure out why the heck we are getting this continued log growth.

Yup. Pretty much.

I can't think of any 'corruption' that can cause a small backup that will restore correctly.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I want to say thank you very much for all your help.

• Ok... Take a read through this when you get a chance, and if you have questions please ask: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/73776/ (Yes, I know it's long)

Also, if your backups start to grow again or the used space in the log starts to grow and doesn't reduce after a few log backups, post back and I'll help you diagnose what's going on.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply