Count Null Records with Group BY

• I've searched and tried many variations, but must be missing something simple. If there are no records, I'm trying to get RecordCount to display zero '0'. I don't get errors, just no results. What am I missing?

Thanks!

SELECT	IsNull(Count(InvNo),0) AS RecordCount, BatchID
    FROM BatchOrders
    GROUP BY BatchID
  • Seems like the table must be empty.

Make sure you are in the correct db.

A long shot, but you should always put the schema name on the table anyway, for performance generally but there in case there might (accidentally?) be another table named BatchOrders but under a different schema:

FROM dbo.BatchOrders

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• Declaring db owner dbo. - no joy. Yes, the table is empty. That's why I want to get result of 0 zero.

• There is a difference between returning a null value and returning no rows.  What would the batchID be if there are no rows for a given batchID?

If you have another table that lists all the potential batchIDs, you can do this.

declare @BatchOrders table (invno int, batchid int)
    insert into @batchorders (batchID, invno)
    values (1,1234),(1,1983),(1,2022),(2,1540),(2,1781),(3,2121)

declare @BatchMaster table (batchid int)
    insert into @BatchMaster values (1),(2),(3),(4)

select bm.BatchID, count(InvNo) as RecordCount
    from @BatchMaster bm
    left join @BatchOrders bo on bo.batchid = bm.batchid
    group by bm.batchID

As  you will see, knowing that there is a batch #4 enables counting zero rows.

One final thing, if you have any rows that have a BatchID but a NULL for InvNo, they will not be reflected in the RecordCount column.   If that is not the desired behavior, switch to count(*) instead of count(InvNo).

(By the way, tables don't have records they have rows. 😉

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• COUNT doesn't return 0 because you've also requested BatchID in the SELECT list.  The FROM clause is evaluated first and there are no rows.  On its own COUNT will always return an integer.  If you got rid of BatchID from the SELECT you could also remove the ISNULL function and COUNT would return 0 or 1, 2, ... [Edit] the GROUP BY would also need to be removed

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Steve Collins.

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Maybe you could add

UNION ALL
    SELECT 0
    ,NULL;

to the end of your query. Then a (0,NULL) row will always appear in your results.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Wouldn't it be easier just to take the difference between the count of a column that will never be NULL (like the PK column) and the column in question?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thank you all for input. This one got me what I needed. I apologize for not being clear. I was expecting a zero count if there were no rows. And now I see the difference in counting a value vs rows.

SELECT	Count(InvNo) AS RecordCount, BatchID
    FROM BatchOrders
    GROUP BY BatchID
    UNION ALL
    SELECT 0, NULL
  • What about checking @@rowcount?  This way 0 would only show up if there are no rows

SELECT	Count(InvNo) AS RecordCount, BatchID
    FROM BatchOrders
    GROUP BY BatchID;
    if @@ROWCOUNT=0
    SELECT 0, NULL;

• That would produce TWO result sets, Steve.    The second one would not have column names.   Plus you can't really union the two queries if you are relying on @@ROWCOUNT.

Here is a variation on Phil's idea.   It should only return the NULL, 0 row if there are no rows in the BatchOrders table.

declare @BatchOrders table (BatchID int, InvNo int)

SELECT Count(InvNo) AS RecordCount, BatchID
    FROM @BatchOrders
    GROUP BY BatchID

union all

select 0, null
    where not exists (select 1 from @BatchOrders)

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Nicely done The Dixie Flatline 🙂

• Yes, this is better. Thank you all.

• The title of this thread threw me... I thought we were trying to count the NULLs in a given column... which is different than the original script, as well.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply