counters incrementing incorrectly

• a little background...

I am in the process of migrating DBs from a 7.0 Standard Edition in a Cluster to a more robust 2000 Enterprise Edition (Clustered) and have had great success 'staging' the databases on the new Instance (data and users) and then on migration day, using backup and restore to refresh the data.

Last week, we migrated a single Database that is evidently used by SEVERAL access frontends.. all running locally on client machines. This was a tedious process because each machine had to be changed to point to the new DB Server location by adding a Sysem DSN on the clients. We ended up having to roll back because their script to change the Client side did not work as expected (an obviously not tested either).

To roll back, I put the 2000 DB into read-only/single user mode and took the 7.0 DB OUT OF read-only/single user mode and everyone was working and happy.. or so I thought.

Friday.. a week after our attempt to migrate, I got a call that one field in 4 different tables in the DB was now incrementing numbers incorrectly. Seems that a couple of the Access Applications are used as a ticketing system to log calls from customers, etc... and BEFORE our attempt to migrate, the numbers were at something like 25001 and after our 'roll-back, the numbers began incrementing beginning at 1100071665 !!!

I'm at a loss. Is there some incompatibility between 7.0 and 2000 that would cause this anomoly to happen??

• If you upgraded and were using Identites, then it's possible that some numbers were lost. Depending on how many times you upgraded and rolled back. And depending how you did it.

If you need to reseed identities, dbcc checkident with the reseed parameter would allow you to do this.

• Thank you!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply