Courses for SQL Server DBAs

• Hi,

I'm a SQL Server DBA. I have been doing some research on how to increase my knowledge level in the industry. I know about the SQL Server and database related courses.

I would like to know whether it is useful for learn courses like networking(like CCNA, CCNP..), whether it will benefit me in my career in future.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

cheers

John

• It kind of depends on how you learn, but sure, taking a course will absolutely help you increase your knowledge and your skill set. Now, there are courses and there are courses. Learning TSQL from Itzik Ben Gan of Solid Quality is going to be better than learning from some local trainer that does nine different courses including the TSQL course, but that doesn't mean you won't learn from the other one.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks for the reply.

But my query is for the courses on networking, SAN, AD, etc (other than SQL). Will it benefit me in the long run in my DBA field.

Cheers

John

• m--S3qU3L (2/13/2011)

Thanks for the reply.

But my query is for the courses on networking, SAN, AD, etc (other than SQL). Will it benefit me in the long run in my DBA field.

Cheers

That depends on what you end up doing within the very wide sphere that encompasses DBA work. I'm not a SAN or AD expert, but I've been working within the DBA realm for years. I have a friend that I wouldn't trust to write a decent TSQL query but I go to him for all my networking and configuration questions and he's been working within the DBA realm for years too. So, yes, they will be helpful, but they are also going to set a direction that you should plan on following.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply