Create a table using script

• Hi,

I have a create table script as .txt file. How can i create table using that script through sql query. Plz any one suggest some approach. I heard through openrow set it can be achieved. But how to do.

Thanks

• I tried it by writting below code

CREATE TABLE #TEMP

(

SCRIPT VARCHAR(4000)

)

INSERT INTO #TEMP

EXEC XP_CMDSHELL 'type filefath\filename.txt'

DECLARE @SQL VARCHAR(8000)

SELECT @SQL= STUFF((

SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR(1000),' '+ SCRIPT) FROM #TEMP

FOR XML PATH('')),1,1,'')

EXEC (@SQL)

DROP TABLE #temp

• Why try to open it through a SQL query? Why not just use a command line utility like PowerShell or sqlcmd.exe? Either of those can read the file and execute it against a database. That's much more efficient than trying to open files through T-SQL.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• ahhh :crazy:... Indeed... Silly me ... Please try doing the way Grant has proposed...

• Thanks for your reply is there any way to achieve this using open row set

• I'm not sure. It's not something I would try to do. What's the purpose of this approach?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I guess vinodhkumargv is looking for simple solution and could be...

Copy .txt code and past it to the new query windows and execute it. It will create the table.

HTH

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• :-D:-):Wow:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply