CREATE DATABASE doesn't have default file locations

• I installed another drive for the log files and changed all that I know to do but when I issue "CREATE DATABASE [TestCreate]", it defaults to the old directory. I'm not specifying ON because I want it to use the defaults yet it doesn't.

I did confirm I can create the proper files if I use the ON command.

Changes I've done so far:

1) In SSMS, changed the server properties for the "database default locations" to the correct drive.

2) Successfully moved current DB log files to the new drive. Verified because the old directory no longer has LDFs and I've successfully restarted the service.

3) In SSMS, if I choose to create a new database, it pulls the correct default location for the log file.

Searching didn't return any results, except for one back in '08 and never got an answer.

I'm running SQL 2008 (10.0.2531) Developer 64-bit.

/* Anything is possible but is it worth it? */

• Hi

Check the DefaultData and DefaultLog values in the registry for the instance.

e.g. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftSQLServer\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQLServer

Best Regards

Chris

• Chris,

Thanks for directing my attention. While I didn't have a DefaultLog value in the registry, I added it and restarted SQL to have it fixed. I'm still not sure why SSMS was showing the correct log path without the registry entry though.

/* Anything is possible but is it worth it? */

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply