create drop indexes for code maintenence

• I am looking for a script which compares scripted index with database index based on name, index column sequence and sort order, fill factor, unique/clustered or non clustered. If everything matches for the same name index then do nothing else drop and create the index.

I need this script as many people touch on development/test enviornment and index consistency goes away. I don't want to delete all index and create all as the tables are very large and takes lot of time. I want which ever index is off, drop and recreate only those. 

Please help me if somebody use this type of scripts for database maintenence.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I'm not sure what you are looking to compare? If you want the current fillfactor of the table, then it will be gathered by dbcc showcontig, but this only works for clustered indexes. There is no way I am aware of to get the fillfactor of a nonclustered index.

• I am looking for checking index when exists with sane defination. some thing in this line:

alter procedure usp_check_index_object

@Objname varchar(1000), @indexName varchar(8000), @decKeys varchar(4000), @decFillFactor int

as

declare @indid smallint,

-- @objname  nvarchar(1000), --776

@i int,

@thiskey sysname,

@keys nvarchar(4000), --2078

@objid int,

-- @indexName varchar(8000),

@OrgFillFact int

select @objid = object_id(@objname)

--set @indid = 8

Select @indid = indid from sysindexes where indid > 0 And indid < 255 and [name] = @indexName

--print @indid

select @keys = index_col(@objname, @indid, 1), @i = 2

if (indexkey_property(@objid, @indid, 1, 'isdescending') = 1)

select @keys = @keys  + ' desc '

select @thiskey = index_col(@objname, @indid, @i)

if ((@thiskey is not null) and (indexkey_property(@objid, @indid, @i, 'isdescending') = 1))

select @thiskey = @thiskey + ' desc '

While (@thiskey Is Not Null )

Begin

Select @keys = @keys + ', ' + @thiskey, @i = @i + 1

Select @thiskey = index_col(@objname, @indid, @i)

if ((@thiskey is not null) and (indexkey_property(@objid, @indid, @i, 'isdescending') = 1))

select @thiskey = @thiskey + ' desc '

End

SELECT   @OrgFillFact =  OrigFillFactor FROM sysindexes WHERE name = @indexName

print @keys

print @OrgFillFact

if @decKeys <> @keys or @decFillFactor <> @OrgFillFact

print 'create index ' + @indexName + ' ON ' + 'dbo.' + @objname + '(' + @keys + ')' + 'with fillfactor = ' + cast(@OrgFillFact as varchar)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply