Create Login Only

• How can you allow a user(login/server principal) to only CREATE other logins?

I want to setup a user(server principal) to add new logins, and they then could add that login as a user of their DB. They are db_owner of their DB, but I don't want them to be able to alter or drop other logins.

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks for the help!

• I don't think you can do this. Security is a big deal, and this isn't a place where you want users to have permissions. I tried an "Execute as" stored proc, but it didn't seem to work. I will futz with it, but my understanding is that to create a login you need "ALTER ANY LOGIN" permissions.

what you could do, and what I'd suggest, is you build a table where your particular user can "request" a login by putting a row in there. Then I'd build a sysadmin process that reads the table, creates the login and user, assigns a known password with "must change password" set (or maps to a Windows login) and then updates the table to mark the timestamp when the login was created.

You could execute this process with SQLAgent every minute. Worst case, your user waits a couple minutes for a login.

• That is a fantastic idea!

Thanks for the help!

-Dane

• Alternately, you could create a stored procedure that creates users with whatever restrictions you like, create a certificate, sign the stored procedure with the certificate, create a user based on the certificate, assign that certificate based user permissions to create users, and assign the human you're talking about's account EXECUTE on the stored procedure.

Here's a post with an example of certificate based security: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Security/68873/[/url]

WARNING: Certificate based security means you need to re-sign the stored procedure every time you change it!

• I will have to try that out in my test environment! Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply