create plan guide

• Hi

I'm fairly new to using plan guides (I normally focus on getting rid of cursors and putting the correct indexes in first)

I've got some very stupid queries coming from either an entity framework app or an office application.

I'm getting hundreds of thousands of queries that look like this

SELECT * FROM (SELECT * FROM stock) AS DRVD_TBL WHERE (stock_code LIKE '%eqpf%')

I know the code is incredibly bad, but I can't get it changed... so I thought I could use a plan guide to at least reduce the number of compiles

DECLARE @stmt nvarchar(max);  
    DECLARE @params nvarchar(max);
    EXEC sp_get_query_template
    N'SELECT * FROM (SELECT * FROM stock) AS DRVD_TBL WHERE (stock_code LIKE ''%eqpf%'');',
    @stmt OUTPUT,
    @params OUTPUT
    EXEC sp_create_plan_guide N'TemplateGuide2',
    @stmt,
    N'TEMPLATE',
    NULL,
    @params,
    N'OPTION(PARAMETERIZATION FORCED)';

unfortunatly I get the error

Msg 10524, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_get_query_template, Line 1 [Batch Start Line 0]

Cannot parameterize @querytext.

does anyone have any clues? is it the like? or the select * from (select * from )?

MVDBA

• Not one I've run into before, but I think it's the LIKE. I'm not sure why, but it must not be able to parse that type of command. I ran a combination of different choices on your code. Only the ones with LIKE in them failed.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks Grant - that was my suspicion

is there any way to get this parameterised without shouting at 40 developers and the entire team at Microsoft that built MS Access?

MVDBA

• I really don't know. I think getting the EF code changed is your best bet.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply