• How to create 3 seperate rows for comma seperate values

For example -

DECLARE @T VARCHAR(10)

SET @T = '1,2,3'

Result needed

SELECT * FROM @T

Output

• First, you need a delimited split function:

IF OBJECT_ID('dbo.DelimitedSplit') IS NOT NULL DROP FUNCTION dbo.DelimitedSplit

GO

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[DelimitedSplit] (

@list varchar(max),

@Delimiter char(1)

)

RETURNS TABLE

AS

RETURN

-- first, need to break down into separate items. See Jeff Moden's article:

-- The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop.

-- at http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/62867/

-- for how a tally table can split strings apart.

-- You really should build your own tally table for the best performance.

WITH

-- if you have your own tally table, omit the following CTEs.

Tens (N) AS (SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 ),

Thousands (N) AS (SELECT 1 FROM Tens t1 CROSS JOIN Tens t2 CROSS JOIN Tens t3),

Millions (N) AS (SELECT 1 FROM Thousands t1 CROSS JOIN Thousands t2),

Tally (N) AS (SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY (SELECT 0)) FROM Millions),

-- if you have your own tally table, omit the preceding CTEs

ItemSplit (ItemOrder, Item) AS (

SELECT N,

RTRIM(LTRIM(SUBSTRING(@Delimiter + @list + @Delimiter,N+1,

CHARINDEX(@Delimiter,@Delimiter + @list + @Delimiter,N+1)-N-1)))

-- if you have your own tally table, schema qualify it in the following line

FROM Tally

WHERE N < LEN(@Delimiter + @list + @Delimiter)

AND SUBSTRING(@Delimiter + @list + @Delimiter,N,1) = @Delimiter

)

SELECT ItemID = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY ItemOrder),

Item

FROM ItemSplit

GO

And here's an example of how to use it:

DECLARE @test-2 TABLE (

ID int IDENTITY,

Col1 varchar(max)

)

-- make some data with two delimiters.

-- # is the major delimiter,

-- , is the minor delimitor.

INSERT INTO @test-2

SELECT 'BOB,Joe,Fred,John' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Jim,Billy,Greg,Laura' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Tim,Clinton,Sarah,Amanda' UNION ALL

SELECT 'Sam,Sandy'

SELECT OriginalRow = t1.ID,

FirstSplitID = ds.ItemID,

ds2.Item

FROM @test-2 t1

CROSS APPLY dbo.DelimitedSplit(t1.Col1, ',') ds -- use the major delimiter first

ORDER BY OriginalRow, FirstSplitID

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Run this...

CREATE FUNCTION fn_Split

(

@String nvarchar(max)

,@Del char(1)

)

RETURNS @ValueTable TABLE

(

Value INT

)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @Pos int

,@NextPos int

,@Field int

set @Pos = 0

set @String = @String + ','

while len(@string) > 1

BEGIN

set @NextPos = (select CHARINDEX(',',@String,@pos))

if @NextPos > 0

BEGIN

set @Field = LEFT(@String,@Nextpos-1)

INSERT INTO @Valuetable (value) select ltrim(rtrim(@field))

set @String = RIGHT(@String,len(@string) - @nextpos)

if len(@string) = 1

BREAK;

end

end

RETURN

end

-- TO TEST THIS CODE RUN BELOW STATEMENT.

--You can pass any deliminator like :,;"/|\ as 2nd parameter for function. In below example I've passed comma....

select * from dbo.fn_Split ('1,2,3,4,5,6,',',')

FO

• Here is the split function with a single query doing all the splitting. It uses a recursive common table expression to split the string:

create function fn_Split

(

@String varchar(max)

,@Delimiter char(1)

)

returns table

as

return

with cte_Split as

(

select

IsLastValue = case when charindex(@Delimiter, @String) = 0 then 1 else 0 end,

StringValue = case

when charindex(@Delimiter, @String) = 0 then ''

else substring( @String, charindex(@Delimiter, @String) + 1, datalength(@String))

end,

Item = case

when charindex(@Delimiter, @String) = 0 then @String

else left(@String, charindex(@Delimiter, @String) - 1)

end

union all

select

IsLastValue = case when charindex(@Delimiter, StringValue) = 0 then 1 else 0 end,

StringValue = case

when charindex(@Delimiter, StringValue) = 0 then StringValue

else substring( StringValue, charindex(@Delimiter, StringValue) + 1, datalength(StringValue))

end,

Item = case

when charindex(@Delimiter, StringValue) = 0 then StringValue

else left(StringValue, charindex(@Delimiter, StringValue) - 1)

end

from

cte_Split

where

IsLastValue = 0

)

select Item from cte_Split;

• Wayne's solution above is by far the most efficient of the 3, especially if you already have a tally table set up. (Not sure why inferior suggestions were posted after it.)

And it can't be said enough: doing a WHILE....LOOP results in poor performance - please don't do it.

└> bt

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• @Wayne: any specific reason not to use the VARCHAR(8000) version (aka dbo.DelimitedSplit8K) in this case?

And I second bteraberry: The other approaches are known as listed under "not recommended". 😉

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• lmu92 (6/28/2010)

@Wayne: any specific reason not to use the VARCHAR(8000) version (aka dbo.DelimitedSplit8K) in this case?

Lutz, I'm just giving you a chance to show a better approach. 😀

Seriously, I prefer to err on the side of not having errors. If you know for a fact that you won't be exceeding 8000 characters in the input string, then this would be the preferable method.

And I second bteraberry: The other approaches are known as listed under "not recommended". 😉

I was taken back by seeing a while loop and a recursive cte as solutions.

Now if the DelimitedSplit8k had been posted, that would have been a worthwhile addition.

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• WayneS (6/28/2010)

lmu92 (6/28/2010)

@Wayne: any specific reason not to use the VARCHAR(8000) version (aka dbo.DelimitedSplit8K) in this case?

Lutz, I'm just giving you a chance to show a better approach. 😀

Seriously, I prefer to err on the side of not having errors. If you know for a fact that you won't be exceeding 8000 characters in the input string, then this would be the preferable method.

I was taken back by seeing a while loop and a recursive cte as solutions.

Now if the DelimitedSplit8k had been posted, that would have been a worthwhile addition.

Ok, kinda funny I had to go back to this post within just a few hours...

The first person who "forced" me to do it actually created the function and the second person (guess who...) posted it... 😀

Anyway, here it it is:

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.DelimitedSplit8K

/***************************************************************************************************

Purpose:

Split a given string at a given delimiter and return a list of the split elements (items).

Usage Example:

SELECT *

FROM dbo.DelimitedSplit8K(@StringToSplit, @Delimiter)

Returns:

iTVF containing the following:

ItemNumber = Element position of Item as a BIGINT (not converted to INT to eliminate a CAST)

Item = Element value as a VARCHAR(8000)

Notes:

1. Optimized for VARCHAR(8000) or less.

2. Optimized for single character delimiter.

3. Optimized for use with CROSS APPLY.

4. Does not "trim" elements just in case leading or trailing blanks are intended.

5. cteTally concept originally by Iztek Ben Gan and "decimalized" by Lynn Pettis (and others) for a

bit of extra speed and finally redacted by Jeff Moden for a different slant on readability and

compactness. Extra speed realized (cuts out 9 SELECT/UNION ALL's) with UNPIVOT thanks to

Gianluca Sartori.

6. If you don't know how a Tally table can be used to replace loops, please see the following...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/62867/

Revision History:

Rev 00 - 20 Jan 2010 - Jeff Moden

- Base 10 redaction for CTE.

Rev 01 - 08 Mar 2010 - Jeff Moden

- Changed UNION ALL to UNPIVOT for bit of extra speed.

Rev 02 - 13 Mar 2010 - Jeff Moden

- Removed one additional concatenation and one subtraction from the SUBSTRING in the

SELECT List.

***************************************************************************************************/

--===== Define I/O parameters

(

@pString VARCHAR(8000),

@pDelimiter CHAR(1)

)

RETURNS TABLE

AS

RETURN

WITH --"Inline" CTE Driven "Tally Table" produces values up to 10K... enough to cover VARCHAR(8000).

E1(N) AS ( --=== Create Ten 1's very quickly

SELECT N

FROM (SELECT 1 N0, 1 N1, 1 N2, 1 N3, 1 N4, 1 N5, 1 N6, 1 N7, 1 N8, 1 N9) AS E0

UNPIVOT (N FOR Nx IN (N0, N1, N2, N3, N4, N5, N6, N7, N8, N9)) AS unpvt

), --10

E2(N) AS (SELECT 1 FROM E1 a, E1 b), --100

E4(N) AS (SELECT 1 FROM E2 a, E2 b), --10,000

cteTally(N) AS (SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY N) FROM E4)

--===== Do the split

SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY N) AS ItemNumber,

SUBSTRING(@pString, N, CHARINDEX(@pDelimiter, @pString + @pDelimiter, N) - N) AS Item

FROM cteTally

WHERE N < LEN(@pString) + 2

AND SUBSTRING(@pDelimiter + @pString, N, 1) = @pDelimiter

;

Lutz

Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• lmu92 (6/28/2010)

The first person who "forced" me to do it actually created the function and the second person (guess who...) posted it... 😀

:-D:-D:-D

Did you see this reply I made to that other post where you had to find it?

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• Thanks for everyone's contributions. I wasn't the one asking the questions, but I learned a lot from the post.

Wayne's solution above is by far the most efficient of the 3, especially if you already have a tally table set up. (Not sure why inferior suggestions were posted after it.)

It's very simple: I did not know my solution was inferior. So, I set up an assortment of tests to compare the three solutions and I can now confirm that you are correct: the first solution is most efficient.

Also, I have never seen the first solution before. Now I have another tool in my development toolbox.:-)

And I second bteraberry: The other approaches are known as listed under "not recommended".

Where can I find this "not recommended" list?

• gideon.kahl (6/28/2010)

I wasn't the one asking the questions, but I learned a lot from the post.

It always is the case here in SSC, u learn not only by asking but also reading others' post!

And I second bteraberry: The other approaches are known as listed under "not recommended".

There is not pre-defined "not recommended" list as such ; generally a solution that "loops" can be done by using Tally Tables which will beat the other loopers like WHILE / CURSOR by a mile !!

🙂

• WayneS (6/28/2010)

lmu92 (6/28/2010)

I sure did. And I've seen Jeffs latest version. Amazing how much fine tuning is done to deal with a denormalized data format that shouldn't be there in the first place (in some, maybe most cases...) :-D:-):-D Awesome job, Jeff (if you happen to see this post)!!!

Lutz

Thanks for everyone's contributions. I wasn't the one asking the questions, but I learned a lot from the post.

Wayne's solution above is by far the most efficient of the 3, especially if you already have a tally table set up. (Not sure why inferior suggestions were posted after it.)

It's very simple: I did not know my solution was inferior. So, I set up an assortment of tests to compare the three solutions and I can now confirm that you are correct: the first solution is most efficient.

Also, I have never seen the first solution before. Now I have another tool in my development toolbox.:-)

I'm sorry, Gideon!! I should have written imaginary "not recommended" list. I wish there would be an "official list" but unfortunately, there usually is an "it depends" clause behind almost each and every recommendation... The best you can do is to start your own list of "do & don't'" filled with solutions you stumbled across and that you consider being useful. And whenever you test new solutions against your current tool set, include a load test e.g. based on a million rows.

Lutz

Thanks for everyone's contributions. I wasn't the one asking the questions, but I learned a lot from the post.

I've learned the most not from the questions asked, but invariably from the discussion that follows...

... and this is one of the ways that I've learned - by trying out the different ways and checking the results for myself.

Out of curiousity, did you use the first solution as it's written, or did you follow the recommendation to build your very own tally table with a clustered index (100% FillFactor) and run the code against that?

Good, this has now helped more than one person. Plus, if you've read the discussion, you should be aware that there is another solution out there that is very similiar to the first solution but is for smaller strings (< 8000 bytes) and it is even more efficient.

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• lmu92 (6/29/2010)

WayneS (6/28/2010)

lmu92 (6/28/2010)

I sure did. And I've seen Jeffs latest version. Amazing how much fine tuning is done to deal with a denormalized data format that shouldn't be there in the first place (in some, maybe most cases...) :-D:-):-D Awesome job, Jeff (if you happen to see this post)!!!

Thanks for the wonderful feedback and compliment, Lutz. Responses like this sure help keep a man going even on bad days.

And, I agree... it IS amazing how much water that's passed under a bridge where there shouldn't have even been a road. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply