Create Table from a variable

• I have the following "start" to a new proc I'm going to be working on and am having an issue.

Alter Procedure [ProcessCold]

(  @Dept varchar(4)

,@Office varchar(5)

,@State varchar(2)

)

As

DECLARE @SameCharity int,

@DiffCharity int,

@FileName varchar(20),

@SQL nvarchar(500)

set @SameCharity=180

set @DiffCharity=45

set @FileName=left(@Dept,2) + @State + convert(varchar(2),datepart(Month,Getdate()))+'-'+convert(varchar(2),datepart(Day,getdate()))+'-'+@Office

What I'd like to do is:

CREATE TABLE @FILENAME (PHONE VARCHAR(10)

But I'm receving an error when trying to do that because I'm assuming SQL doesn't allow you to directly create tables based off of variables?  Is there a work-around that I can use instead?

Thanks.

• DECLARE @FILENAME TABLE (PHONE VARCHAR(10))

Regards,
    gova

• Govin,

I'm building the name of the file in the proc, therefor when I try the declare method you posted, I'm receving an error about a duplicated declaration.

• That is because you already declared @FileName as VARCHAR(20). Change the name of any one of this you will be okay.

Regards,
    gova

• If you want this CREATE TABLE @FILENAME (PHONE VARCHAR(10)) you will need to build ALL of it into a variable and then EXEC the variable or sp_runsql....

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Can you elaborate on this, I'm sorry but I don't understand I guess.

I'm wanting to send the proc the following:

exec processcold 'ABCD','2,'TX'

I'm wanting the proc to create a table named:

ABTX6-30-2

With the table name being programatically created with the set @filename statement. 

What I'm unsure of though is how to integrate your declaration into the stored procedure and make things work.  Would you mind maybe re-writing your idea out for me so I get a clearer picture of what you're meaning?

• NM, I figured it out with AJ's answer.

Thanks much.

• Why can't you use static sql for this task?

• DECLARE @SQL VARCHAR(2000)

SELECT @SQL = 'CREATE TABLE ' + @FileName + '(Phone VARCHAR(10) )'

EXEC(@SQL)

Thanks AJ Ahrens I did not take the question.

Regards,
    gova

• Another question along this same issue.

I'm trying to create the insert statement and am running into problems because I use the - as part of my @FileName variable.  Anyone know the way around this other than simply changing the -?

statement I'm using is:

set @SQL = 'Insert into ['+@FileName+'] select top 100 Phone,Title,Fname,Lname,Address,City,State,Zip,'+@Dept+' as Dept,'+'75'+','+@FileName+' as Batch from cold2'

Note: the first @Filename is fine because it's the actual table, but I use the second @Filename to identify which "batch" of leads I'm sending out, and they just have always happened to be the same name.

• Try this.

Your missing the ' around the Character fiedlds your trying to insert

When your having issues with dynamic sql,comment out the execute, and put a select statement prior to execution so you can see what the string looks like.

set @SQL = 'Insert into ['+@FileName+'] select top 100 Phone,Title,Fname,Lname,Address,City,State,Zip,'''+@Dept+''' as Dept,75,'''+@FileName+''' as Batch from cold2'

Select @sql

-- exec sp_ExecuteSql @sql

Copy and paste the results from the select to a query analyzer window and your issues may become clearer.

Please read, alot of information about dynamic sql, and why you may, or may not want to use.

http://www.sommarskog.se/dynamic_sql.html

• The real question is why do you want to many different tables that keep the same information?

• A good question indeed.

A new table for each day of the week right?

Thats about the only reason I can think of.

• Talk about crappy design... Seems to be on the topic a lot today.

• boy, slow down

* Noel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply