create table through cursor

• Hi All,

I am creating a table using cursor and it gets created in tempdb. Even if i specify the database, it gets ignored. How can I create a table in a particular database?

• If you're using the # prefix SQL Server will ignore it and use tempdb anyway. This:

CREATE TABLE AdventureWorks.dbo.#tbl (a INT);

Results in a table being created in tempdb and this warning message:

Database name 'AdventureWorks' ignored, referencing object in tempdb.

This:

CREATE TABLE AdventureWorks.dbo.tbl (a INT);

Will result in a table being created in AdventureWorks DB

If you have questions please provide the code you're trying.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thanks a lot for your rely..it helped!!

Does it also applies if I have a tablename like ##temp1?

• yes

• Ok. Thank you!!

Have another question...

I want to insert results from sp_depends into a table

SET @sql = 'USE '+@db_name+' EXEC sp_depends '+ @table_name

insert into ##tmp

EXEC (@sql)

But with that I also need the database name into that table. How can I use EXEC and insert into together?

• anjali3386 (6/28/2011)

Ok. Thank you!!

Have another question...

I want to insert results from sp_depends into a table

SET @sql = 'USE '+@db_name+' EXEC sp_depends '+ @table_name

insert into ##tmp

EXEC (@sql)

But with that I also need the database name into that table. How can I use EXEC and insert into together?

A couple options:

1. create another temp table that looks like ##tmp plus a column for db name

2. insert the data from ##tmp into the new temp table while appending the db name to each row

-or-

1. make db_name a nullable column in ##tmp situated ordinally after the last column that captures output from sp_depends

2. after sp_depends output is captured issue an update to set db_name in ##tmp to the db name wherever its NULL

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I tried the second way but it gives me the following error.

Insert Error: Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition.

• try like this:

insert into ##tmp (ColumnListMatchingsp_dependsOutput)

EXEC (@sql)

if you identify the specific columns, you can have more columns in the table than the proc would insert.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hmmm, something must be out of order on your side. I tested the technique before I posted. Here is my POC code:

USE tempdb

GO

CREATE PROC dbo.proc_a

AS

BEGIN

SELECT 1 AS a

END

GO

CREATE TABLE #tmp (a INT, b SYSNAME NULL) ;

GO

INSERT INTO #tmp

(a)

EXEC dbo.proc_a

GO

UPDATE #tmp

SET b = DB_NAME() ;

GO

SELECT *

FROM #tmp

go

DROP PROC dbo.proc_a

GO

DROP TABLE #tmp

GO

--Plato

• @Opc.three & Lowell: Thank you so much!

• Hi All,

When I run the code as discussed in above posts, I get the error " Insert Error: Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition."

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply