Create table Using the Structure and Data from the Dynamic SQL

• Hi All,

I need to create a table which will be having teh structure of the Result of the PIVOTED Query.

I am sure we can create a view for this when we are using Pivot.

I am creating the table so that I can Update the Data of a Column from Multiple Columns which we have Data needed.

Sudhir Nune

• you didn't provide any real details or example code;

without seeing the query featuring PIVOT, all i can offer is to use the SELECT...INTO TABLENAME FROM MyTable format.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• DECLARE @cols AS NVARCHAR(MAX),

@query AS NVARCHAR(MAX),

@cols2 AS NVARCHAR(MAX);

SET @cols = STUFF((SELECT distinct ',' + QUOTENAME(c.PAYMENT_TYPE)

FROM TEST_DATA_SRC c

FOR XML PATH(''), TYPE

).value('.', 'NVARCHAR(MAX)')

,1,1,'')

SET @Cols2 = SUBSTRING((SELECT DISTINCT ',ISNULL(['+PAYMENT_TYPE+'],0) AS ['+PAYMENT_TYPE+']' FROM TEST_DATA_SRC GROUP BY PAYMENT_TYPE FOR XML PATH('')),2,8000)

set @query = 'SELECT name, ' + @cols2 + ' from

(

select name

, payment

, payment_type

from TEST_DATA_SRC

) x

pivot

(

max(payment)

for payment_type in (' + @cols + ')

) p '

EXECUTE(@QUERY)

• i guess something like this, where you insert into ##GlobalTable would give you the results as a table so you can update from it later.

DECLARE @cols AS NVARCHAR(MAX),

@query AS NVARCHAR(MAX),

@cols2 AS NVARCHAR(MAX);

SET @cols = STUFF((SELECT distinct ',' + QUOTENAME(c.PAYMENT_TYPE)

FROM TEST_DATA_SRC c

FOR XML PATH(''), TYPE

).value('.', 'NVARCHAR(MAX)')

,1,1,'')

SET @Cols2 = SUBSTRING((SELECT DISTINCT ',ISNULL(['+PAYMENT_TYPE+'],0) AS ['+PAYMENT_TYPE+']' FROM TEST_DATA_SRC GROUP BY PAYMENT_TYPE FOR XML PATH('')),2,8000)

set @query = 'SELECT name, ' + @cols2 + ' INTO ##GlobalTable from

(

select name

, payment

, payment_type

from TEST_DATA_SRC

) x

pivot

(

max(payment)

for payment_type in (' + @cols + ')

) p '

EXECUTE(@QUERY)

SELECT * FROM INTO ##GlobalTable

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 6

Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'INTO'.

🙁

Can you help me with the Exact query.

• i edited the post, so re-copy it and try again.

the line for the global temp table should have been here:

set @query = 'SELECT name, ' + @cols2 + ' INTO ##GlobalTable from

Lowell

• Tanks Lowwel, it is perfectly working.

But my problem is that I may not be able to use the Global Temp table.

Can we Have the local temp / Genral table in this case ???

• sudhirnune (4/9/2013)

Tanks Lowwel, it is perfectly working.

But my problem is that I may not be able to use the Global Temp table.

Can we Have the local temp / Genral table in this case ???

why don't you think you can use a global temp table?

as far as using a real table yes(maybe), but i thought your whole problem was you didn't know the columns/structure because the query is dynamic? if the # of columns varies, i'd stick with a global temp.

a temp table, probably no, because the table would go out of scope as soon as the the EXEC(@query) completes;

if you KNOW the structure/#columns, you could define it before you do the query.

Lowell

• Need Small help on the Below Query

Dynamic SQL has Column names which are not part of table, how to handle this to complete the process with out Error.

Ex: SAL = COM + ALL_1 + ALL_2

But the table will not have always the ALL_2, in the above situation, the update In Dynamic Query should work with out issues.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply