Create UTF8 database.

• Hi,

I am new to sql server.

I have a task to create UTF8 database and insert UTF8 data into it.

Is it possible to create a UTF8 database to store UTF8 data in sql server 2005 or 2008 ?

Thanks.

• Hello,

Did you already see the following MS KB article:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232580

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• Hi John,

even though the article talks about SQL server 7 and 2000, it is probably the same for 2005 and 2008.

My problem is that I will not enter the data from the web. I will need to transfer data from Oracle UTF8 database to SQL server.

Then we will have to build cubes from sql server datasource. It is mixed data (English, French, German, Japanese).

I thought it would be easier with SQL server 2005.

Well, I think I have to look for another vendor for my task.

Thanks, Alex

• Hello Alex,

The KB article is also relevant to SQL Server 2005 (there is an “Applies To” Section towards the end). I don’t know of any significant changes for SQL Server 2008.

One of the workarounds for storing UTF-8 data is to create a Custom (User-Defined) Data Type (I have never tried this myself). Anyway, in case it proves useful for you, here is a relevant link:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms160893.aspx

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
    SQL Server Luxembourg User Group

• @alex:

Might be a bit late for any relevance but does your data really have to be stored as UTF-8 specifically? For most applications I can think of as long as the storage format is capable of representing all of your desired Unicode characters it shouldn't matter what the storage format is within the DB. Translating UCS-2 data (eg nvarchar as used by SQL Server) to UTF-8 is a fairly trivial task that would usually be done in your import/export layer, be that ADO.NET, ODBC, SSIS, etc.

Regards,

Jacob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply