Creating AG Listener when nodes are on different subnets

• Hello SQL Gurus,

I am seeking advise on how to resolve my issue in creating/configuring an "Availability Group" listner for a 3 node cluster.

Topography of my setup is as follows...

Node 1 - In Data Center-1

Node 3 - In Data Center-2

(Nodes 1 & 2 are configured to be in a failover cluster)

Node 3 - In Data Center-3

I am able to successfully implement "Always On" using these 3 nodes, with Node1 as primary, and Nodes 2 & 3 as Secondary replicas. I tested different types of failure scenarios successfully, some of which are...

When Node1 fails, Node2 becomes primary automatically.

When Node1 comes back up, it becomes secondary automatically.

When both Nodes 1 & 2 fail, Node 3 is still available as readable secondary, which can be manually made to be primary.

Now I need to implement a generic name that can be used by the application so that it remains agnostic to which node is active at any given point in time. I am trying to achieve this by creating an "Availability Group" listener, using an IP that matches the Network identifier of Nodes 1 & 2. However this creation is failing because of the fact that Network identifier and host identifier of the IPs for Nodes 1 & 2 are significantly different from that of Node 3 (since it is hosted at a different data center, as expected to be in the case of a DR instance). I get an error that reads as follows...

"None of the IP addresses configured for the availability group listener can be hosted by the server "Node-3". Either configure a public cluster network on which one of the specified IP addresses can be hosted, or add another listener IP address which can be hosted on a public network for this server. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 19456)"

Can someone please shed some light on how I can overcome this and create a virtual server that can talk to all 3 nodes and keep track of which is active so that my application can run smoothly?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

SQL Curious

• for multi subnet clustering see these links

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff878716.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh213080.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks, Perry Whittle. I will read these and give it a try. I will keep you posted on how it went.

- SQLCurious

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply