Creating an install image(cd) with SP

• I'd like to have an image that contains all SP and hotfixes equal to my current install. Is this possible to create? If so point me in the direction. Thinking is at Disaster Recovery or a new box comes in one install is better than tracking and locating all patches. Something like the XP boot disk you can create containing the service packs.

(ex) Last week at disaster recovery someone else recovered the sql boxes but DBs failed to restore due to sqlserver version was not the same as the backups. I have this documented but I'd like more insurance. In our case the documentation was lost in transit to the hotsite so I received a call to verify the sp and fix levels (not acceptable).

Thanks in advance,

Steve

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• As far as slipstreaming the install (having SQL Server and the SP's all on one set up CD) I posted a question about this a while back and the answer was negative.  If you want, you can view that thread here:  http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=5&messageid=233978  You can do it with Operating Systems and we have some slipstreamed installs that work pretty well for both workstations and servers, but apparently you can't do this with SQL Server SP's

You can always image or ghost the server and store that image someplace safe on the network.  The drawback to that is if you attempt to restore the image on a server with significantly different hardware you can expect to run into lots of problems.   

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply