Creating an Upload process

• Hello,

I am looking to create an upload process that will check for an Excel in a specific directly, if exists, upload the file and populate the database. I have never done this before (only data extracts) and looking for advice on best practices to do this. I am unsure of how to do the upload process, is this something that can be done with SQL Server 2012? Or do I need to purchase some kind of 3rd party tool?

• If I were doing this, I would do it using SSIS.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• You can do this using the Import Data Wizard (SSMS Object Browser, right-click a Database, Tasks, Import Data...). From there you can save it off as an SSIS package and move forward. You will need to modify it a bit to look for a file name and make it dynamic, add in error handling, logging, etc. if you feel you need any of that.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply