I've got some code that is supposed to create a view:-- Mitch Curtis

-- A2view.sql

-- Set the active database to KWEA.

USE KWEA;

-- Drop view.

DROP VIEW Property_Owner_Table;

CREATE VIEW Property_Owner_Table

AS SELECT owner#, name

FROM Property_Owner;But it gives me this error:Msg 111, Level 15, State 1, Line 7

'CREATE VIEW' must be the first statement in a query batch.So I change the code to this (even though now I can't implicitly ensure I'm working on the right database):-- Mitch Curtis

-- A2view.sql

-- Drop view.

AS SELECT owner#, name

FROM Property_Owner;But it gives me the same error:Msg 111, Level 15, State 1, Line 7

'CREATE VIEW' must be the first statement in a query batch.So I change it again!-- Mitch Curtis

-- A2view.sql

AS SELECT owner#, name

FROM Property_Owner;It works now... the only problem is that now the code can't be executed multiple times which is a requirement of the problem.

Note that another requirement of the problem is that the code be contained within a single query file.

How can I do this? :crazy:

Cheers.

• Why do you need to do this? It may make a difference...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Try this, it should work. The only thing i have changed is ive added the 'GO' after each statement.

-- Mitch Curtis

-- A2view.sql

USE KWEA;

GO

-- Drop view.

GO

AS SELECT owner#, name

FROM Property_Owner;

GO

This tells sql to execute upto the first GO statement, then move on to the next 'batch'.

Matt.

• Matt (5/17/2008)

Try this, it should work. The only thing i have changed is ive added the 'GO' after each statement.

-- Mitch Curtis

-- A2view.sql

USE KWEA;

GO

-- Drop view.

GO

AS SELECT owner#, name

FROM Property_Owner;

GO

This tells sql to execute upto the first GO statement, then move on to the next 'batch'.

Matt.

Brilliant! Works like a treat! Thanks a lot!

Why do you need to do this? It may make a difference...

What do you mean? It's part of an assignment. Please don't say this is a "homework question" because I've clearly shown effort (code). :ermm:

Cheers!

• Mybowlcut (5/18/2008)

What do you mean? It's part of an assignment. Please don't say this is a "homework question" because I've clearly shown effort (code). :ermm:

Cheers!

Clearly, you have shown an effort and I certainly don't mind helping with homework when someone shows the type of effort you did in the original post.

No, the reason why I was asking was to determine if you needed a temporary structure like a table valued function or if a view would actually do the trick for you. Creating a view "inflight" is pretty unusual except when trying to create something like a partitioned view. Lot's of folks say "I need to do this" and something else is better... just wanted to make sure here. The other thing I wanted to make sure of was that you didn't need to do this to multiple DB's... if you did, we'd need to get a little "dynamic" SQL going.

The code that Matt offered is spot on for a script... because of the "Go's" in it, it's not possible for it to be a stored procedure and I wanted to make sure that's ok, too.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (5/19/2008)

Mybowlcut (5/18/2008)

Cheers!

Clearly, you have shown an effort and I certainly don't mind helping with homework when someone shows the type of effort you did in the original post.

No, the reason why I was asking was to determine if you needed a temporary structure like a table valued function or if a view would actually do the trick for you. Creating a view "inflight" is pretty unusual except when trying to create something like a partitioned view. Lot's of folks say "I need to do this" and something else is better... just wanted to make sure here. The other thing I wanted to make sure of was that you didn't need to do this to multiple DB's... if you did, we'd need to get a little "dynamic" SQL going.

The code that Matt offered is spot on for a script... because of the "Go's" in it, it's not possible for it to be a stored procedure and I wanted to make sure that's ok, too.

Ahhh ok. 🙂 To be honest, I'm just doing what the assignment says haha. I don't know what a partitioned view is or dynamic sql haha. At the moment I'm just trying to pass the unit, but when I finish uni I'll be using databases to support my game's data and then I'll take more of an interest. It said:

Based on your PropertyOwner and Property tables, create a view showing all

properties of each owner; display the content of the view; and then query the view to

display all owners who own two or less properties.

Oh no! I just realised I forgot to query it! Ahhh man gonna lose marks for that. 🙁 Oh well haha. 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply