Creating Linked Server Failed

• I have db_DataReader role in server 2, I am admin of Server 1, I want to create a linked server to 2 from 1, I specify to use login's current security context, however, it returns me error saying failed for user 'NT Authority\Anonymous Logon', why my login is not picked up? Thanks

• to use "be made with the logins security context", the user must be a user on the domain.

if the user was a SQL user, an anonymous connection is made, which of course fails.

if you need the SQLUser "bob" to use the equivilent "bob" on the other server, or some other specific user that is different,you need to map it explicitly:

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (1/16/2015)

to use "be made with the logins security context", the user must be a user on the domain.

if the user was a SQL user, an anonymous connection is made, which of course fails.

if you need the SQLUser "bob" to use the equivilent "bob" on the other server, or some other specific user that is different,you need to map it explicitly:

Thanks for the reply, I am a domain user and using windows authentication, that's why I don't understand here, I also verified my user id by suser_sname()

• You are running into the two hop problem.

This is why most linked server connections use a SQL auth login.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply