creating new full text index and cannot get it to populate

• We're changing our production sql server. In doing so i recreated the full text index on the new box and ran it. It runs for about 10 seconds which is entirely too quick. It isnt doing anything. When i text if it has done anything by querrying to table that i applied a full text index to by using the contains() call it returns no results when i know it should. It seems the full text index although running isnt doing anything....ideas? This happened to me in the past and i can't for the life of me recall how i resolved the issue

• i see now that it is actually recreating the FTData files when i run the incremental. Yet no results returned from contains() call. Do i have to wait for a period of time before the full text index data will be available?

• bye the way i'm using sql server 2000

• In 2000 you must make sure you have installed the Microsoft search service and manually populate the catalog, I don't have 2000 here so I cannot tell you the steps so you need to populate the catalog to get back search results. If I find it online before you do I will post it because all the BOLs to 7.0 are online. So run a search in BOL to populate full text catalog.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• It can take a while to run, and as far as I've noticed, you can't run contains() queries while it's populating (ie, they return no data)

I think if you right click tha table, and select "Full Text Index", if the "Stop poulation" option is greyed out, it means it finished, otherwise it means it's still populating

Please understand this is based purely on what I've noticed happening!

Edit - sorry, didn;t notice the fact it was sql server 2000

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• This was an error I thought I was editing the post not double posting but all you need to do with Full Text with both Enterprise manager and T-SQL is posted below.

Check below for all you need to get fulltext running in 2000

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa214785(SQL.80).aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• RESOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!

On SQL 2000, the Microsoft Search must have System admin access in SQL Server. Because this is SQL 2000, the only way to add this security is to give the Local Administrators System Admin access, because you cannot add the Local System account as you can in SQL 2005. Your Catalog is populating data.

Also FYI in sql 2000 you can querry using contains() while it is populating. Otherwise when doing a scheduled full text index everyone on the site would running a search would error or timeout...You will only get results relative to what currently exists in the population...

• I have to add to this thread the wrong or none installation of the Microsoft Search service generally comes from company policies and skills of the SQL Server team. And your comment about 2005 is not relevant because the product changed and Fulltext is native in 2005 so I advice users to drop 2000 Fulltext indexes and create new one in 2005 where the catalogs can be auto populated.

If your web application is using SQL Server Fulltext index in 2000 I think you need someone skilled to install the Microsoft Search Service with the correct permissions and must populate the catalog as needed because all search is dependent on it.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply