creating records on remote database via remote laptop connection

• hiya,

I have been asked to allow a user with a laptop to create records locally on laptop then populate a remote database with these records when connected.

As you can see from the way that I've phrased it, I haven't even done anything like this is in sql2k.

However, I was wondering if I should miss out sql2k and use sql2005?Do you thisnk that the current sql2005 is stable enough for this?

Any advice appreciated,

cheers,

yogi

• Since the current SQL 2005 has not been released as a production system any license under which you are currently using the product is NOT a production license so you can't really do this.  However Microsoft expects to release the product for production on Nov 7 so if the application you are referring to is due to be released after Nov 7 go ahead and develop this for SQL 2005.  Personally I would not develop for SQL 2005 unless the features the business really needed were not available in SQL 2K (or just difficult to do) and I was sure that my business go live date was after (or least close to) the general release date.  

I've heard the Microsoft is planning SP 1 for general release 60 days after the general release which is either a marketing ploy or they are aware of problems that they can't fix in time for the Nov 7th date.  Using new technology is always a risk.  That what makes it kinda fun sometimes.  Just how much of a risk is SQL 2005?  Its been in beta a long time with several beta versions, so I don't think the risk is huge.  But what if you put some application into production tomorrow using SQL 2005 and something severe happened to the data.  Microsoft would say thanks for pointing that out, we'll attempt to fix that either by general release or SP1 and you may be out of a job.

Just my opinion.

Francis

• cheers for the honest words Francis.

The reason for my post was that I haven't done any db sync stuff before, So I thought that I'd ask and see if there was any stuff in yukon that was a serious and stable improvement on sql2k

That said, I'm using sql2005 as much as I can in the office.

yogi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply