Creating sql server login group for dba tasks

• Hi all,

I would like to create a SQL Server login from a domain group for dba purpose.

For this i create a new SQL Server login with this domain group. I grant sysadmin role to this group.

When i connected with my domain user (who is a member of this domain group) i can't connect to SQL Server. I receive the next error:

'Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\USER'.

I don't what i'am doing wrong.

Somebody can help me?

Thanks in advance.

• did you create SQL authenticated account or a windows account? It needs to be a windows account.

Post the login error message from the SQL error log with the state value.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I create a windows account with a 'DOMAIN\GROUP'.

The error message is:

Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\USER'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456).

I try to connect to SQL Server database with 'DOMAIN\USER' who is a 'DOMAIN\GROUP' membership.

• hi

can you post a screenshot of the server logins from management studio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Perri,

Server logins folder have the next information:

##MS_PolicyEventProcessingLogin##

##MS_PolicyTsqlExecutionLogin#

distributor_admin

DOMAIN\GROUP

DOMAIN\USER

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

NT SERVICE\MSSQLSERVER

NT SERVICE\SQLSERVERAGENT

sa

SERVER\administrator

where SERVER is the servername who SQL server databas is running.

• we need the STATE value from that error message.

Are you a member of this windows group?

• Yes, the user 'DOMAIN\USER' is member of 'DOMAIN\GROUP' group.

The messages that i can see in the SQL Server Log are:

First message:

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 11.

Second Message:

Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\USER'. Reason: Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

• State 11 means 'Valid login but server access failure'

check in AD that the group and user are allowed to access the server.

• The DOMAIN\GROUP is DOMAIN admin group.

The DOMAIN\USER is DOMAIN\GROUP member, and for this DOMAIN\USER is a domain administrator.

At the same time i add both DOMAIN\GROUP and DOMAIN\USER as member of SERVER\administrators group.

I already add SERVER\administrators (as BUILTIN\administrator) as windows login in SQL Server but i'm receiving the same error message when i try to connect with my DOMAIN\USER.

I don't understand this comportament. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I only want to create a SQL Server login with a DOMAIN\GROUP.

In this form i havent to create a newly login in sql server database when a new DOMAIN\USER have to access to sql server database; it is sufficient with add this DOMAIN\USER as member of DOMAIN\GROUP in AD.

Somebody can help me? (

Many thanks in advance.

• I have to say that SQL Server 2008 is installed on Windows 2008 Server.

I have test to create a group login in a new Windows 2003 environment (with SQL Server 2008) and i have create a group login (local group login and algo a domain group login) without problem.

Somebody have te same problem? It would be operative system problem? I have to do adittional action to create a wiindows group in SQL Server installed over Windows 2008 operative system?

Many thanks in advance.

• ico-601891 (4/20/2010)

The DOMAIN\GROUP is DOMAIN admin group.

The DOMAIN\USER is DOMAIN\GROUP member, and for this DOMAIN\USER is a domain administrator.

At the same time i add both DOMAIN\GROUP and DOMAIN\USER as member of SERVER\administrators group.

I already add SERVER\administrators (as BUILTIN\administrator) as windows login in SQL Server but i'm receiving the same error message when i try to connect with my DOMAIN\USER.

I don't understand this comportament. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I only want to create a SQL Server login with a DOMAIN\GROUP.

In this form i havent to create a newly login in sql server database when a new DOMAIN\USER have to access to sql server database; it is sufficient with add this DOMAIN\USER as member of DOMAIN\GROUP in AD.

Somebody can help me? (

Many thanks in advance.

try adding the DOMAIN\GROUP directly into SQL Server as a login and assign permissions!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Perry,

I already have do this test.

This is my configuration:

- DOMAIN\GROUP --> I add this domain group as member of server administrators group.

- DOMAIN\GROUP --> I add as SQL Server login, with sysdba permission.

I try connect to SQL Server with my windows user (DOMAIN\USER) who is a DOMAIN\ADMIN GROUP member but the connection failed.

The only difference that i can see is the operative system (this configuration is running correctly in Windows 2003 but not in Windows 2008).

I dont understand this comportament. Somebody have the same problem?

Thanks newly in advance.

• Can you post the error you're getting? Can you ping the SQL Server? Can you telnet to the port that it's listening on?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Hi K.Brian,

The error i'am getting is: "Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\USER'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)".

I can ping mi SQL Server and I can't telnet to the port that it's listening on (but i can connect via SSMS 2008 to my database).

However i have to say that all the tests i have comment i have made by connecting first to the server with the remote desktop, ie all test i have made "in the server" (not remotely).

Repeating the tests from a remote client (without remote desktop) i could get i wanted funtionality.

But why i can't get this funcionality when (after i'am connecting to server via remote desktop) i try to connect to SQL Server from the same server (ie, not remotely)? As i say in a previous post

it is possible in a windows 2003, but why in windows 2008 not? There are any windows security restriction?

Many thanks in advance.

• Hi all,

I finally found the answer to my last question: once made the changes at the level of SQL Server i had to do a loggoff of my remote session and then newly login and then it works.

Thank you very much for all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply