Critique - Common SQL Server Mistakes

• Based on most of the comments, I'm alone on this one, but what the heck, I'll stick my neck out.

I'm not crazy about it. I don't like the laundry list approach. I see that you identify the common issues, but I don't get a sense that you're going to tell me enough about them to get me to go to the session. I'd rather have a bit more traditional discussion style abstract.

There. Let the rock throwing begin.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (1/24/2011)

Based on most of the comments, I'm alone on this one, but what the heck, I'll stick my neck out.

I'm not crazy about it. I don't like the laundry list approach. I see that you identify the common issues, but I don't get a sense that you're going to tell me enough about them to get me to go to the session. I'd rather have a bit more traditional discussion style abstract.

rock pile -1 ( this should add some credit 😀 )

This might actually work in a formula like the chalk talk sessions at SQLPASS.

(especially because they were brought by respected members of the community)

5 minute topics highlighting hot spots that need your attention, with a change of subject and speaker every 5 minutes.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Grant Fritchey (1/24/2011)

Based on most of the comments, I'm alone on this one, but what the heck, I'll stick my neck out.

Fair point. I was hitting a number of misc items that get you into trouble, but that might not be a great approach.

• Maybe use the rule of three's like you suggested for mine? I thought it was a good idea.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (1/25/2011)

Maybe use the rule of three's like you suggested for mine? I thought it was a good idea.

I'll certainly Google for it but what is the "Rule of Three's"?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (1/26/2011)

Grant Fritchey (1/25/2011)

Maybe use the rule of three's like you suggested for mine? I thought it was a good idea.

I'll certainly Google for it but what is the "Rule of Three's"?

Steve suggested that I use the "rule of three," basically list three things, "The top three sql server mistakes are...", "Three things people always drop the ball on are..." Not sure if you'll find it in Google.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/20/2011)

Good feedback on this, however I'm more wondering if you think the abstract is well written. Does it make you want to go, or not go, to the session?

I can't figure out who your audience is.

DBAs?

Developers?

Seems to be a hodgepodge mix from the topics.

• This could well be an appetizer kind of session.

Just get an overload of hotspot topics to pick a detailed session on the issues that got your interest.

Might even work very well for newbe and a refresh minded audience.

However, you might not be remembered due to the lack of details because of time constraints.:Whistling:

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• More good feedback. I somewhat aimed this at accidental DBAs, but I think I've moved into development a bit and probably need to split this off to two sessions.

• Many accidental DBA's are developers and may be doing both roles.

Technically i'm a Stealth DBA (I do dba things cause we, as a company, need it...even though its not in my job description, and noone else is doing it).

Topics that bridge both worlds are VERY beneficial for me.

Plus, it can be a more holistic view of Sql Server. ie. Here is how developers and DBAs can coordinate to avoid the worst problems.

At the end of the day its all about the server running as fast and smoothly as it can while being as flexible to end users.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply