CRM 3.0 Physical Model

• I'm just getting started with Reporting Services.  My company just began using CRM 3.0 a month ago.  I found Visio files of the database Logical model on Microsoft.com but I'd really like to see the physical model -- an actual layout of the tables,views and relationships.   I have access to the database here but the diagramming available in Management Studio isn't helping much -- hard to decipher the cobweb of relationshps.

I did find a view "Incident" which seems to hold most of the fields I'd be interested in for my first report, but I need to add the queue each ticket belongs to.

thanks for any guidance.

Randy

• Randy -

A lot of the answer depends on the amount of customization that has been done to your CRM instance - for good or bad, CRM is highly customizable and things like incidents, even customers, may have been modified from their default locations and behaviors.  You'll need to get a current data model from the folks who installed and/or customized your CRM instance before you'll be able to get too far. 

Joe

• When writing reports against Dynamics CRM you should always use the Filtered Views.  I would download the CRM 3.0 SDK.  It has a section in it called "Report Writers Guide" which points SSRS developers in the right direction.  All the Filtered Views handle record security and are created and updated by the application.

• Thanks Ben, I'll check out the SDK.  I did see those filtered views in our database.  Obviously with a database this complicated, doing a select * on every table and view to see what it's contents look like isn't very practical.

Randy

When writing reports against Dynamics CRM you should always use the Filtered Views.  I would download the CRM 3.0 SDK.  It has a section in it called "Report Writers Guide" which points SSRS developers in the right direction.  All the Filtered Views handle record security and are created and updated by the application.

• The views also take care of picklist lookups which saves time as well. 

If you're dealing with currency look at some of the canned reports.  They have a data set that looks up the formatting options stored in the database by the application.  Then those results are used in the formatting options of the fields in your report. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply