Crosstab -- eliminate rows with all zeroes

• Hello All:

I am using the following stored procedure below to create the equivalent of a crosstab query.  However, I would like to suppress any rows that have zeroes across each field. 

for example

A U X

0  0  0 should be eliminated

0  0  1 should stay

CREATE PROCEDURE crossy  (

@TestPlan varchar(100)

)

AS

select strBusinessFunction,

SUM(CASE WHEN strCondItionStatus ='A'and strTestPlan = @TestPlan  THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)AS 'A',

SUM(CASE WHEN strCondItionStatus ='U'and strTestPlan = @TestPlan THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)AS 'U',

SUM(CASE WHEN strCondItionStatus ='X'and strTestPlan = @TestPlan THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)AS 'X'

FROM tblconditions

GROUP BY  strBusinessFunction

ORDER BY strBusinessFunction

GO

• hey joe,

you are almost there ... to get rid of rows with any zeroes your query would have to be a subquery ...

so, the final SQL would look something like this:

SELECT *

FROM

(

SELECT

strBusinessFunction,

A = SUM(CASE WHEN strCondItionStatus ='A'and strTestPlan = @TestPlan  THEN 1 ELSE 0 END),

U = SUM(CASE WHEN strCondItionStatus ='U'and strTestPlan = @TestPlan THEN 1 ELSE 0 END),

X = SUM(CASE WHEN strCondItionStatus ='X'and strTestPlan = @TestPlan THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)'

FROM

tblconditions

GROUP BY  strBusinessFunction

) p

WHERE

0 != (p.A + p.U + p.X)

JP

• Does anyone have an SP that will do this for any table, with any structure?  Something that would take a table name and build a statement based on the metadata and generate the sql and execute it?  It'd be pretty handy, I just don't have time to build it.

• select strBusinessFunction,

SUM(CASE WHEN strCondItionStatus ='A'and strTestPlan = @TestPlan  THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)AS 'A',

SUM(CASE WHEN strCondItionStatus ='U'and strTestPlan = @TestPlan THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)AS 'U',

SUM(CASE WHEN strCondItionStatus ='X'and strTestPlan = @TestPlan THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)AS 'X'

FROM   tblconditions

-- insertText

WHERE  strCondItionStatus in ('A', 'U', 'X')

-- end insertText

GROUP BY strBusinessFunction

Just adding a WHERE clause I think will be more performant, and I think this get the same result.

Chris Hofland

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply