Current month to yesterday's date

• Thank Thom, already had that chat with the manager but its a no go unfortunately as we don't own the database its a third party and they have only given me read access as a last option. Thanks anyway appreciate all your help with this

• craig.jenkins - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:07 AM

Thank Thom, already had that chat with the manager but its a no go unfortunately as we don't own the database its a third party and they have only given me read access as a last option. Thanks anyway appreciate all your help with this

Do you have other databases? Your Calendar table does''t have to be in the same one.

The database I use for our application is similar, although I can write to it, it's one a one way system (data goes in, it doesn't go out). Thus we have other databases which we use for different projects (which interact with the software database). You'd just need to use 3 part naming conventions.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Given your requirements, you appear to only need to worry about holidays that occur within the first 3 calendar days of the month.  US only has Independence Day (July 4th, and only when the 3rd is a business day off because it's a Monday before a Tuesday holiday), and Labor Day (first Monday in September).  Not sure what other countries might have, but school districts often have other days designated for special events or special holiday scenarios, so there can always be a local variation.   That said, it may actually be possible in some cases to have code that will take all that into account.

• Thanks all, i think the best way around it as i don't have access to any other database is something like the following.  I know its not the ideal way but the i think this will work.  The next day this will affect me will be 2nd Jan 18. One last question, the current code looks at the start of the month to current day.  Ideally i want it to look for current day minus one (so do not include any date from today).  I thought it  i could change SET @ed = DATEADD(MONTH, 1, @sd); TO GETDATE()-1 but no joy.  Sorry guys like i said completely new to this but i am learning loads from this forum.  

SET @ed = GETDATE()-1

==============================
    --MY NEW CODE

DECLARE @sd DATETIME, @ed DATETIME;

-- set the start date to the first day of this month
    SET @sd = DATEADD(MONTH, DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0, GETDATE()), 0);

-- if it's the first, we want last month instead
    IF DATEPART(DAY, GETDATE()) = 1
    BEGIN
    SET @sd = DATEADD(MONTH, -1, @sd);
    END
    ELSE

-- if its 2nd jan 18
    IF GETDATE() >='2018-01-02' AND GETDATE() <'2017-01-03'
    BEGIN
    END

SET @ed = DATEADD(MONTH, 1, @sd);

SELECT logfile.Dealer,Dealers.Name
    ,COUNT(*) AS Booked
    , SUM(CASE RepairCodes.[Service] WHEN 'Y' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS SER
    , SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'MST' THEN 1 WHEN 'S&M' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS MST
    , SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'MOT' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS MOT
    , SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'WAR' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS WAR
    , SUM(CASE PayType WHEN 'INTERNAL' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS [INT]
    ,COUNT(DISTINCT RegNo) AS Vehs

,COUNT(*)
    -SUM(CASE RepairCodes.[Service] WHEN 'Y' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)
    -SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'MST' THEN 1 WHEN 'S&M' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)
    -SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'MOT' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)
    -SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'WAR' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS Other

, SUM(TotalValue) AS [Value]

FROM LogFile
    LEFT OUTER JOIN RepairCodes
    ON RepairCode = ServCode
    AND LogFile.Dealer = RepairCodes.Dealer

JOIN Dealers ON Dealers.Dealer=LogFile.Dealer

AND dbo.LogFile.Created >= @sd
    AND dbo.LogFile.Created < @ed
    AND DBO.LogFile.Tran1 in ( 'IBB','W3B')
    GROUP BY LogFile.Dealer, Dealers.Name
    order by LogFile.Dealer

• sgmunson - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:46 AM

Given your requirements, you appear to only need to worry about holidays that occur within the first 3 calendar days of the month.  US only has Independence Day (July 4th, and only when the 3rd is a business day off because it's a Monday before a Tuesday holiday), and Labor Day (first Monday in September).  Not sure what other countries might have, but school districts often have other days designated for special events or special holiday scenarios, so there can always be a local variation.   That said, it may actually be possible in some cases to have code that will take all that into account.

Does USA not have 1st January as a holiday?  Or the following Monday if New Year's Day falls on a weekend?

In the UK, we have a couple of others to worry about:

Good Friday / Easter Monday - moveable
    May Day holiday - first Monday in May

The others can be ignored given we're only talking about special handling for the first few days of the month...

--edit-- I see the OP is UK-based.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Hi, Yes UK has more hols. I will add in once i have fixed the other issue with data looking for previous day SET @ed = DATEADD(MONTH, 1, @sd);

Thanks

• ThomasRushton - Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:57 AM

Does USA not have 1st January as a holiday?  Or the following Monday if New Year's Day falls on a weekend?

The others can be ignored given we're only talking about special handling for the first few days of the month...

I "love" the maths for Good Friday/Easter Monday in our Calendar Table. :sick:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thank you all, i believe i have sorted this now (code below).  Thanks for everyone's input i have learnt a lot and this will seriously speed up my reporting. 

DECLARE @sd DATETIME, @ed DATETIME;

BEGIN
    END
    ELSE

-- if its 2nd jan 18
    BEGIN
    END

SET @ed = DATEADD(MONTH, 1, @sd)
    ELSE
    SET @ed = DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd,0,GETDATE()), 0)

SELECT logfile.Dealer,Dealers.Name
    ,COUNT(*) AS Booked
    , SUM(CASE RepairCodes.[Service] WHEN 'Y' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS SER
    , SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'MST' THEN 1 WHEN 'S&M' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS MST
    , SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'MOT' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS MOT
    , SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'WAR' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS WAR
    , SUM(CASE PayType WHEN 'INTERNAL' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS [INT]
    ,COUNT(DISTINCT RegNo) AS Vehs

,COUNT(*)
    -SUM(CASE RepairCodes.[Service] WHEN 'Y' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)
    -SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'MST' THEN 1 WHEN 'S&M' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)
    -SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'MOT' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)
    -SUM(CASE ServCode WHEN 'WAR' THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) AS Other

, SUM(TotalValue) AS [Value]

FROM LogFile
    LEFT OUTER JOIN RepairCodes
    ON RepairCode = ServCode
    AND LogFile.Dealer = RepairCodes.Dealer

JOIN Dealers ON Dealers.Dealer=LogFile.Dealer

AND dbo.LogFile.Created >= @sd
    AND dbo.LogFile.Created < @ed
    AND DBO.LogFile.Tran1 in ( 'IBB','W3B')
    GROUP BY LogFile.Dealer, Dealers.Name
    order by LogFile.Dealer

• I'm not sure that is correct. For example, one item I noticed is:
    How can the current date be both greater or equal to 2018-01-02 AND less than '2017-01-03'? 2018-01-02 is greater than 2017-01-03, so this expression can never evaluate to TRUE.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• great spot thankyou Thom, it should be IF GETDATE() >='2018-01-02' AND GETDATE() <'2018-01-03'

• craig.jenkins - Thursday, October 5, 2017 3:31 AM

great spot thankyou Thom, it should be IF GETDATE() >='2018-01-02' AND GETDATE() <'2018-01-03'

Ok, but my concern is that this is still very much year specific. What happens in 2019? The Wednesday 02 January 2019 is the first working day of that month. You probably, long term, want to look at something that isn't year specific; otherwise you'll need to be editing your code every year (not ideal).

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• yep its a complete nightmare, i'm hoping once the report is live and scheduled they will see the benefit from it and grant me access so i can then set up a calendar.

• one last question on this topic guys

How do i make the 4 below exactly the same but for the previous year? I have tried to add DATEADD(YEAR, -1 at the beginning of the code but no joy.  

SET @ed = DATEADD(dd, DATEDIFF(dd,0,GETDATE()), 0)

• ThomasRushton - Thursday, October 5, 2017 2:57 AM

sgmunson - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:46 AM

Given your requirements, you appear to only need to worry about holidays that occur within the first 3 calendar days of the month.  US only has Independence Day (July 4th, and only when the 3rd is a business day off because it's a Monday before a Tuesday holiday), and Labor Day (first Monday in September).  Not sure what other countries might have, but school districts often have other days designated for special events or special holiday scenarios, so there can always be a local variation.   That said, it may actually be possible in some cases to have code that will take all that into account.

--edit-- I see the OP is UK-based.

Yep, missed that one.   Another brain fart...  gee whiz folks... hope its not gettin' stinky in here... :crazy:

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply