declare @p1 int

set @p1=0

declare @p3 int

set @p3=1

declare @p4 int

set @p4=8193

declare @p5 int

set @p5=0

exec sp_cursoropen @p1 output,N'EXECUTE proc_MedSurv -473821157',@p3 output,@p4 output,@p5 output

select @p1, @p3, @p4, @p5

which produces the error below:

Executing SQL directly; no cursor.

Msg 0, Level 11, State 0, Line 0

A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded.

This seems to only affect sql 2005 sp3, running the same query on an sp2 2005 instance works ok.

alternatively running the same query using a select instead of exec works as well:

declare @p1 int

set @p1=180150007

declare @p3 int

set @p3=1

declare @p4 int

set @p4=1

declare @p5 int

set @p5=1

exec sp_cursoropen @p1 output,N'SELECT coll_1, coll_2, coll_3, coll_site_list_bus_phone FROM COLLECTION WHERE coll_id = -1211926656',@p3 output,@p4 output,@p5 output

select @p1, @p3, @p4, @p5

is there a work around for this? the sql is all in legacy apps so not easy to change!

thanks.

• You might want to look at this article

FIX: You may receive error messages when you use the sp_cursoropen statement to open a cursor on a user-defined stored procedure in SQL Server 2005

at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913371

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Thanks, I had come across this article in my searches but it seems unrelated to what we are experiencing here. I was wondering whether it was permissions on the tempdb but having applied full permissions for a test user I was still getting the same error.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply