Daily Data Transfer

• I have 2 identical data bases maintained on 2 seperate disconnected servers.[The servers are not physically connected and resides in different geographical locations. Idealy, data transfer should happen using Floppy as medium.] Transactions happen on one of these servers. I need to know a mechanism by which i could transfer the new transaction data from the source server to the other server. It is true that transactions always happens only on one server. the other is just a mirror of the Transaction server. Data must be transfered once in a day or so. Pls let me know the most optimal solution for this.

• Set up transactional replication and distribute the data daily  - or at whatever time slice you need. See Replication in BOL

• Also have a look at log shipping - this will probably suit your scenario better....

• Same Case With me,

but iam trying some other methods, if u find any suitable pls post it, so that we can use it.

<a href="http://www.websolsoftware.com"> For IT jobs click here</a>

*Sukhoi*[font="Arial Narrow"][/font]

• We accomplish this by transferring full and log backups daily, and restoring them - setting up a "standby" server.  We've setup a dts package that pulls the files from the production server using ftp, determines the day of the week and restores the appropriate file.  It is kind of primative (right now) but it works.

• Another way to accomplish task is to use the copy tables option of dts and export the data to files nightly via a job.  Be sure to use the "delete data in destination table" instead of the default "append".

I do this for an external web site.  I also send it to a temporary database, check to make sure that the transfer occured, and then swap the database with the actual database used for the web site.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply