dat files in backup

• We need to move three databases from one server to another.  Normal practice is to take a backup to a device, copy the device across to the new location (having already created a database and backup device there with the same name) then restoring the database using a script to change the physical location.

These three databases refuse to go, citing an 'unspecified error' on the data file (.mdf).  When I've examined the results of Restore FileListOnly the physical data file appears to be called <name>_dat rather than <name>_data.

Does this have any bearing?  The servers are also running on two different versions of SQL. 

Madame Artois

• You are looking at the logical filename and not the physical filename. Expand the column physical name and you should see the path where the data files were placed on the server where the backup was taken.

If you don't see this - maybe the backup file go corrupted during copy. I have experienced this many times with slow or unreliable network between the servers.

Hope this helps

Runaldo

• I have had the same problem and the following steps worked for me.

1.  Zip the backup file

2.  Transfer the zipped file to the target server

3.  Unzip the backup file

4.  Then restore the backup file 

• That has got to be the weirdest thing ever but it works!!  Thanks for that

Madame Artois

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply