Data getting truncated while exporting to flat file

• All,

Apologies if the question looks very simple as I am very new to SSIS and have a aggresive deadline to meet. I have a stored procedure which has "SELECT @var" as the last statement - VARCHAR(MAX)

I have built data by concatenating several columns from multiple tables and assigning them to this variable. Then I am exporting the value to a flat file in SSIS. However, the file doesn't have the complete data. It gets truncated and I suppose around 8000 characters (guess).

Reques to help in this regard

Thanks,

Sudarsan

• Have a look in the data flow to see where the truncation is occuring, its possible that you are using the DT_STR data type which can only handle 8000 chars, use DT_Text instead.

• Hi SteveB,

The datatype is set as DT_Text, but still I face the same situation.

Thanks,

Sudarsan

• Where is it set to DT_TEXT ?

In the data source, in all the transformations, in the data destination?

• In the Data Source, Output is set to DT_Text and in the FlatFile destination, the input is DT_Text

• Sudarsan Srinivasan (5/17/2011)

In the Data Source, Output is set to DT_Text and in the FlatFile destination, the input is DT_Text

did you get that information from the Advanced property tab?

• Yes, from advanced property

• I have checked now and the size is 31947 characters in the file and the size is 32KB if those numbers make any sense...

Thanks,

Sudarsan

• I tried to export that to another table in the database with OLEDB destination and the complete data was exported. the column had 137000 characters....

Should i check something in the flatfile properties as the size is always 32KB and hte characters exported are 31947

• Hi, It was a simple oversight. When I had created a Flatfile connection, I had set the file as "Fixed Width" instead of "Delimited". Now this is resolved.

Thanks to SteveB for helping.

• I'm glad you got this sorted, thanks for posting the solution

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply