Data Import

• I want to import Oracle Database into SQL Server 2005 Using Import Export wizard. Can any body suggest me how can i do this...

• To the best of my knowledge, you can't. You can certainly use SSIS or DTS to transfer tables and data, but some of the datatypes won't be what you'd expect. Also, the myth of portable code comes into play. You can't simply copy sprocs and UDF's from Oracle to SQL Server and actually expect them to work. Some good bit of rewriting will be necessary unless all of your sprocs are totally braindead ANSI compliant sprocs. Even then I believe you'll find problems because everyone has their own time table as to which ANSI spec they'll meet and when.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks for your reply. Is there any other way to do this... Else can you suggest me some sites from where i can get good suggestions regarding this?

Regards,

RSK...

• Senthil Kumar Rajendran (7/22/2009)

I want to import Oracle Database into SQL Server 2005 Using Import Export wizard. Can any body suggest me how can i do this...

Question... do you intend to migrate a database from Oracle to SQL Server or do you just want to import into SQL Server some data that is sitting on an Oracle database?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I just want to import data from oracle to sql server.....

i got an error on this... can you just me to rectify this error...

TITLE: SQL Server Import and Export Wizard

------------------------------

Could not connect source component.

Warning 0x80202066: Source - BONUS [1]: Cannot retrieve the column code page info from the OLE DB provider. If the component supports the "DefaultCodePage" property, the code page from that property will be used. Change the value of the property if the current string code page values are incorrect. If the component does not support the property, the code page from the component's locale ID will be used.

Error 0xc0204018: DTS.Pipeline: The "output column "SAL" (23)" has a precision that is not valid. The precision must be between 1 and 38.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0204018 (Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSPipelineWrap)

BUTTONS:

OK

Regards,

RSk...

• Use SSIS as suggested by Jeff. Pay attention to datatypes.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Senthil Kumar Rajendran (7/23/2009)

I just want to import data from oracle to sql server.....

i got an error on this... can you just me to rectify this error...

TITLE: SQL Server Import and Export Wizard

Could not connect source component.

Warning 0x80202066: Source - BONUS [1]: Cannot retrieve the column code page info from the OLE DB provider. If the component supports the "DefaultCodePage" property, the code page from that property will be used. Change the value of the property if the current string code page values are incorrect. If the component does not support the property, the code page from the component's locale ID will be used..

1. Data migration

You can use SSIS to migrate data from Oracle to SQL Server. Be careful about code page if your data contains unicode characters. You need to set the 'Default Code Page' properties of the 'Data Source' and 'Destination' controls of the SSIS. If the code page is not set properly, junk data will be migrated for the unicode data, even though it may give you message of completing succesfully.The default code page in SSIS is 1252 (English US).

2. database code (UDF, trigger, procesures etc) migration

You can use the SSMA (SQL Server Migration Assiatant) to migrate the back end source code. You can down load this tool which is free of charge as of now. Even if it can not migrate the source code in the most ideal way, it is helpful to get you started. You need to know the business logic as well as the TSQL (MS) and PL/SQL (Oracle) syntaxes very well to be able to achive a good migration. You should also know the internal working of both SQL Server and Oracle to get the migrated database work optimally.

Sincerely,

Maz

-----------------------------------------------------------[font=Arial Black]Time Is Money[/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed since a Point of Time[/url][/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed Between Two Points of Time[/font]

• Mazharuddin Ehsan (7/26/2009)2. database code (UDF, trigger, procesures etc) migration

As stated by poster he does not intends to migrate code -adding white noise may lead to confusion.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply