Data Migration to SQL Server

• This is out of my scope atleast for now but was looking to get some advice....

I have some 3rd party non SQL Server database that I have sucessfully migrated all of it's tables to my local SQL instance using an ODBC connection. I was told I would only need to do this data migration one time however things have changed. I now need to know how to automate grabbing new data from this vendor database and updating my local instance with the new data. What would I use to do this? Thank you!

• SSIS is probably the best way to go, although linked servers might be better, depending on your exact requirements.

John

• Thanks John. This data is coming from a Cobal database. Would you happen to have any links on how this might be done in SSIS?

• It's not something I've ever done, I'm afraid. You'll probably need to do some good old-fashioned research... unless anyone else can point you in the right direction.

John

• can this post help u ?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic605075-145-1.aspx

Regards,

Sushant

Regards
    Sushant Kumar
    MCTS,MCP

• Can you use the "Import Data" wizard, then save it as an SSIS package at the end of the process ?

• Cobol is not a database but a programming language. Maybe the db is DB2 or something.

• I used a ODBC adaptor from Transoft, that convert flat file data from acucobol.

they are the only company in the world (that I could find)that does this type of ODBC adaptor give them a ring they are very helpful and product was good and easy to use.

• If the data you are importing are in the form of flat text files, you could write your own ETL routine to import them. I have done this a few times myself. Import each row into a record in a temp table, then use string parsing functions to extract your data and insert into relational tables. Yes I know it is rbar, but it works beautifully and is completely customized to your specific needs. The length and complexity of this task depends on how much variation there is in the incoming data. If the format is fairly consistent, it should not be too bad.

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply