Data Mining Introduction

• Useful article - thanks.

But PLEASE SQL Server Central - hire an Editor to clean up articles before they're posted, if your authors can't correct grammer/spelling themselves! It's not professional to put stuff out like this. Thx.

• hire an Editor [sic] to clean up articles before they're posted,[sic] if your [sic] authors can't correct grammer [sic] /spelling themselves

Forum posters should remain exempt from this requirement though, obviously.:-D

...One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that ones work is terribly important.... Bertrand Russell

• Well, I didn't volunteer for the Editor job! 😉

It's hard to see ones own mistakes, which is the purpose of the 'editor' position I suppose.

• Great article! I will be following this feed to the end. The attention to technical detail and practical steps are great and help new comer's like me to work my way through the example. I would like a little more on the theory side as to why we are choosing the options but I think you referenced that you would be explaining further in a future article. Keep up the good work man. 😎

• Good job. I would have loved to follow it through to end.

Unfortunately, my Mining Model Viewer returned error "Unable to connect to local server"

I have restarted and all services and DBEngine both from SSMS and Cnfig Manager and also configured my Reporting Services but still not able to view the model.

Can any one help.

tnx

• eriks4j (1/4/2013)

Good job. I would have loved to follow it through to end.

Unfortunately, my Mining Model Viewer returned error "Unable to connect to local server"

I have restarted and all services and DBEngine both from SSMS and Cnfig Manager and also configured my Reporting Services but still not able to view the model.

Can any one help.

tnx

try to grant the service account used to start Analysis Services access to the AdventureWorks database.

• Nice article, nice to know how SSAS can be used. Any points to note from a Prod DBA POV? (Aside install, etc)

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • Hi, I am a relatively SQLServer newbie, background as an analyst.

I was following this lesson smoothly until I got to step 13 - Now click in the Mining Model Viewer and you will receive a Windows message to deploy the project. Press the yes button.

When I try to execute this part, I'm dead in the water - error message "SQL Server Agent" not running. I understand why, Im using SQL Server 2012 Express with Advance Services. I discovered that this version omits this use of the Agent service.

Two questions 1) with my version is there a work around to this so I can complete the lesson? 2) a general question as a newbie and dedicating a lot of time into learning - because of this limitation and possible others in Express, would you recommend me dumping Express altogether and give with the Developer version?

• Maybe a SQL Server Developer Edition.

The express won't help.

I also read that there are nice virtual labs at microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/learning-center/virtual-labs.aspx

• thanks for the reply daniel,

However, in my position, learning-wise and planning to hone skills in the various services, would you recommend developer over staying with express for any other reasons? Will I run into more limitations unrelated to this/

Ill check out the virtual lab link

• You could use the trial version for 180 days in order to learn. It includes all the nicest features.

The Express and Advanced Express has limited features.

• Hi Daniel,

Everything was OK until got to step 13 (appropriate number!)

When I click in the Mining Model Viewer I don't receive a Windows message to deploy the project. Instead I get a message stating,"Unable to connect to the localhost server. Make sure that the server is started." The server I connected to was a database engine. Does it need to be Analysis Services?

• Yep, it requires analysis Services.

• When I select 'Microsoft Decision Trees' (step.4) I get the following message at the bottom of the screen, "Unable to retrieve a list of supported data mining algorithms. Make sure you are connected to the correct Analysis Services server instance and the Analysis Services server named localhost is running and configured properly. You can continue with a default list of data mining algorithms".

Presume this is why I'm getting the 'cannot connect to localhost' message when I click on 'Mining Model Viewer' tab?

• Hi,

Long time Senior DBA here - but just starting down the Data mining journey. Great article - makes it seem you can get something good out with minimal knowledge (but clearly the more you learn the better your output!)

Data Mining excites me, as I think we can change the way we do business. BUT in this example - in a strange way I see it as a more convenient way of avoiding a basic query. I.e. If I have one Customer table in my database, why would I not just stick a join on the products table - and then query for buyers of a product where age between x and x, town = x, salary > x and so forth, and then take that as a percentage of the whole sales for that product. (Thats how it works out the percentage?)

Don't get me wrong - but please put me right 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply