Data porting from DB2 to Oracle

• Dear all,

I want to port DB2 database records into Oracle database. How can I do this using VB or by any means? Please reply to me at deendayal.b@paconsulting.com

Thanks,

Dayal

• Hey,

Although we don't use Oracle, we do read and write from JDE (which runs on DB2) using SQL Server.

We use a DTS within SQL. However, a lot of the work, rather than a pure data feed, is done using an ActiveX object utilising VBScript, so there is no reason why you can't do this in VB.

The way we have done this is as follows...

1) Create a login for the AS400 where the DB2 files reside

2) Install the JDE ODBC driver on SQL Server box

3) Create a DSN. We generally used a File DSN *

4) Within your VB application, create a standard ODBC connection to the DB2 database (we use ADO 2.7)

* Here is a small code example. This would be in VBScript in an ActiveX object within a DTS.

Set JDEConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

JDEConn.Provider = "msdasql"

JDEConn.Open "uid=mssqlsrvr;pwd=mssqlsrvr;initial catalog=AAAAAA.F4201;dsn=DB2ODBC"

The AAAAAA is the system JDE System Catalog.

Thats pretty much it. We access the DB2 database in the same way as say an Oracle or SQL Server DB.

Clive Strong

sqlsrvr_dba@hotmail.com

• If you have an IBM UDB database let me know and I will change my response.

Set up a job to FTP the tables from DP2 to a staging area (maybe on the server using Oracle). Use SQL*Loader to load the files into the Oracle database. It may take some time to create the configuration files, but this will work like a champ!! Hardly any coding needed. Maybe some JCL and shell/batch script with the SQL*Loader commands.

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply