Data Size issue

• HI,

The issue is that the data size with SQL server developer version has exceeded 2GB of space, though the HDD free space  is 25GB. We are not able to insert any records now. In the Enterprise Manager, under the database, the UI shows that there is no free space for data. It shows "0.0 MB free".

One guy gave comment that the developer version of SQL Server does have a limit. It is SQL server 2000 Standard edition that can take this data size and more. 

We tried this bytaking a dump of their database, 2GB+, and installed Standard edition and could import the data work on it. So Company bought this software from Microsoft. They claimed to have installed the same but still faced the same issue.

However, when I sat on that comp, it was on Win XP and I know and showed from microsoft's site that MS SQL Server 2000 does not support XP. They felt they had installed SQL 2000 and still had the same issue of data size.

We enquired with the guy out there whether they had taken this fact into consideration while placing the order. He said no one raised this fact and it is not clear how the ordering was done.

The resolution I have suggested is to install SQL 2000 on a Win2K O/S.

I need your comments on this. Please help me on these;

1. Is it true that MS SQL Server 2000 Standard edition does not support XP.

(Developer version supports both flavours of XP) For your reference, please visit this site.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/system-requirements.mspx

2. How do I increase the data size of the database?

1. I checked that the options for data size in the Properties menu of the database was to "grow unlimited" and by percentage of 10. Are there any other options?

3. Will the suggestion above resolve the issue of data size?

Please let me know if you need any further info.

Kindest Regards,

Vishal Prajapati

DBA at Extentia Infromation Technology

• 1) Did you check both the log and data file settings? Do they all have auto grow with no limit?

2) You can try to Manually increase the data/log file sizes in Enterprirse Manager: database property--> Data files/Transaction logs, change "Space allocated" to a bigger number. See what you get.

3) I have SQL 2000 running on WinXP in my home. But I am not sure it's edition. I can check it tomorrow.

• XP is not a SERVER version of Windows.

SQL Server 2000 Standard or Enterprise edition requires a Server version of Windows.

If you try to install SS2K Standard or Enterprise on a non-server platform (i.e. XP), you will not be able to install the server portions and will only be able to install the Client Tools (Enterprise Manager, BOL, Query Analyzer, and a few other tools).

-SQLBill

• Are you sure you are not running MSDE?  It has a DB size limit of 2GB

By the way, developer does NOT have a limit - it is supposed to be exactly the same as enterprise but obviously not licensed for production use and can run on non-server versions of windows.

You need to have a server version of windows to run standard and enterprise (not sure about workgroup edition).

If it is not MSDE, then as peter said, check the growth restrictions on the database files (right click the database in EM and view its properties).

• Is the file system on their PC NTFS or FAT32? FAT32 drives have a maximum file size around 2GB if I remember correctly. (Can't copy single file DVD images to them I know for sure!)

• Gee, been a while since I've had a FAT32 system   Good point!

• Hi,

ALL PC in a company are of NTFS file system.....

Please help..... We are not able troubleshoot.....

Kindest Regards,

Vishal Prajapati

DBA at Extentia Infromation Technology

• Do you have a licensed version of Developer or did you install it as a Evaluation version? I believe that Evaluation versions have a 2GB limit.

-SQLBill

• Okay...I found the answer.

Refer to the BOL, use the index tab and enter SQL Server, capacities. Scroll down to find the section for Maximum Amount of Physical Memory.

Developer Edition has a maximum memory of 2 GB for every system EXCEPT Windows 2000 Server (4GB), Windows 2000 Advanced Server (8 GB) and Windows 2000 Datacenter (64 GB).

Standard Edition is 2 GB for EVERYTHING.

Enterprise Edition is the same limits as Developer Edition.

-SQLBill

• To SQLBill: the question is about file size, not memory size. They are different thing.

To Vishal:

One possible reason is you enabled disk quota on the database file drives and setup the limit to 2GB.

Go to the disk drive letter, right click property, go to quota and check quota is enabled or not.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply