Data Vices

• Good enough... Lord knows why I started back up after quitting twice for a year, but, both times, I still went to the smoking deck... smoking or not, people seem more open when they're puffin'. Besides, it was good exercise and if ya gotta take a break, you might as well go outside.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• JP Sabin (12/5/2008)

Started smoking again in March after 8 years clean. It was a crutch and I have to knock it off, but I'm not doing so well.

Sorry about that JP. My longest quit has been 3 years, you done good. Just get back on it as fast as you can, that's my advice (which I have not followed).

😎 Kate The Great :w00t:
    If you don't have time to do it right the first time, where will you find time to do it again?

• My mother died from lung cancer when I was young and as a consequence I have never smoked. My vice is good food and being a bit of a perfectionist. So sometimes I am an emotional eater and therefore often battle to keep my weight under control. I have found that diets don't work as a diet generally means that at sometime you won't be on it anymore. It is better to make changes to your lifestyle that you can cope with for the rest of your life. I try to follow a low GI way of eating. This is what diabetics do to control blood sugar levels which has great benefit in controlling weight and keeping you healthy. I also try to fit in a half hour walk every day. I do drink coffee but it is usually decaf and no more than 1-2 cups a day and I don't drink softdrink (soda) very often. I am partial to a bit of chocolate every now and then though!

My aim for 2009 is to start running again and lose 20kg so I can improve my health. At my work we have a "Biggest Loser" competition every 4-6 months or so where you aim to lose 5% of your body weight in 6 weeks. There are weekly weigh-ins and as an incentive if you don't lose all of your 5%, you owe the winner $10 for every kilogram by which you missed the target but if you lose the 5%, there is no penalty. I have never been part of this as in the first 6 weeks of any exercise regime I put on muscle so I weigh more before I start to lose weight but the scheme does work for some people here and it is great for camaraderie!

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• Jeff Moden (12/5/2008)

Heh... do you smoke?

Only when my flue is clogged. 😀 Told you my vice was humor.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• pmcpherson (12/6/2008)

Used to. Smoked for 16 years. Quit 2 summers ago, see other posts under this thread. It only :rolleyes: took me about 2 years to quit and feel quit. Quitting is very subtlely difficult. I wish it was more of a head on battle, it would be easier.

The problem with smoking is that you are never really rid of it. It's like being an alcoholic. It's a constant battle and you just take one puff and you've had it. Also, a person needs to get your head right. I quit smoking for 3 years, got promoted and then started stressing. What happened? I started smoking again. I quit about 3 or four times after that for periods of 3-6 months but my head was not right. I see someone smoking across the street and I think: "Gee, that looks nice" The other thing is the smoke breaks at work. Just to be able to get of your chair and out of your office to have a smoke break helps me to think clearer. Good luck to those who tried and are still successful in not smoking again.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• With regard to smoking, I beleive there are 3 groups:

Non-smokers: Either never smoked or tried it and didn't like it so never got the habit.

Smokers: Currently smoke.

Ex-smokers: Used to be smokers and managed to quit.

A large part of the 3rd group have trouble staying out of the 2nd group; you can never rejoin the first group.

Ex-smokers are usually also the most vocal that people should stay in the first group 🙂 since the easiest way to give up smoking is not to start.

Derek

• skjoldtc (12/5/2008)

It would be a completely horrid life if I followed every diet, health, and social norm. I may live to be 100 but it would be a miserable 100.

Reminds me of the joke:

Man: Doctor, I'd like to live as long as possible, what can I do?

Doctor: Do you smoke?

Man: Never have.

Doctor: You don't look overweight, how's your diet?

Man: I only eat plain simple foods and drink pure water. I avoid anything spicy or too sweet.

Doctor: How about lifestyle, do you go out much?

Man: I don't like loud music or crowds so avoid parties, clubs or large sporting or music events.

Doctor: How about other socializing? Do you go out much at all?

Man: I've always been a loner and keep myself to myself. As I said, I don't like crowds so don't go to cinemas or theaters.

Doctor: Have you got a partner?

Man: I hardly ever meet people outside work so, no, I don't have a partner.

Doctor: How about exercise? Do you do any active sports?

Man: I take a 20 minute walk every morning, but don't do anything more tiring.

Doctor: What do you do to relax?

Man: I read sometimes, but often go to bed early to get a good night's sleep becuase there's very little I like on TV.

Doctor: OK, I give up! Why do you want to live longer?!?

Derek

• Nice joke.

Hopefully any of you that feel like that might get kick started to go do something more interesting with your life.

• I must say at this point that I actually feel sorry for our (the smokers) children and current or future grandchildren. They grow up with parents that smoke and they see what the parents do and think that it is the right thing to do and therefore when they grow up start smoking as well. If not then very good but it is a vicious circle. I belong to the "current smokers" group and would like to quit and belong to the "non-smokers" group but know that can never be.:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Manie Verster (12/9/2008)

I must say at this point that I actually feel sorry for our (the smokers) children and current or future grandchildren. They grow up with parents that smoke and they see what the parents do and think that it is the right thing to do and therefore when they grow up start smoking as well. If not then very good but it is a vicious circle.

My dad smoked a pipe as long as I can remember. I tried for a while but went back to cigarettes. Mom was a racist bigot from the deep south. Being rebellious that got me into Civil Rights. That was a good thing but I finally outgrew that.

The secret is to grow strong children. Let them see your mistakes. Don't shield them from consequences. "Grandpa smoked all his life. That's why he has a bad heart and coughs all time." Take them to funerals.

I belong to the "current smokers" group and would like to quit and belong to the "non-smokers" group but know that can never be.

Hang in there and don't give up hope. I tried a bunch of times. I finally found a strong enough motivation. It's different for every person and you have to find the reason that is right for you. One tip though: Think well of yourself. We are often taught that we should be humble. OK. But many take that too far.

Never let anyone, not even yourself, put you down for what you are still doing. People think that they are being helpful. "Your still a smoker, right?" "Still having weight issues?" "Still using cursors are we?" "No. I'm sure that EAV tables are useful somewhere." GET OFF MY BUS!

Am I better today than yesterday? Yes. Am I perfect? No, and NEVER will be. Will I do better tomorrow than today? You bet!

ATBCharles Kincaid

• If parents smoke it doesn't mean their children will. My parents both smoked. I saw what it did to them, that's why I never started. My husband is the same.

My vice? Reading sqlservercentral.com when I should be working 😛

• Hey, this counts as work! It's always informational.

• Manie Verster (12/9/2008)

I belong to the "current smokers" group and would like to quit and belong to the "non-smokers" group but know that can never be.

Possibly true, but as an ex-smoker for 20 years (after about 15 as a smoker) I would recommend that anyone keep trying.

Derek

• I used to enjoy the occassional cigar, but my life insurance didn't like that. They were pretty strict about anything, so I stopped.

Wonder if they'll still be around in 10 years when my kids grow up?

• Steve - glad to see somebody mention BFL, I loved it myself, but then I got remarried, lazy, and now I need to go again. Best I've ever felt, and the five meals a day thing (even if you're not a complete Nazi about the food regulations) definitely staves off diabetic issues by controlling blood sugar, so that's a HUGE plus over the long run that most people don't even realize.

My vice? Reading too much SSC

Can't believe I was first to say that.

Seriously, though, I'd say my vice is thinking of too many ways that I'd like to improve my workload, or help our dept improve, and taking too much on my plate simply because I know it's possible, even if I don't know how to do it (yet). I guess that interprets into Time Management, so I'll go reread those books I bought. Quickly.

comments on the posts before - if you have a TV vice, get a DVR. Best invention since sliced bread.

smoking - I know nothing I say will convince you to stop, but stop. Please.

Diet pop - I think, aw crap, can't remember who now, the comment about just drinking less/cutting pop out is a big one. Sugars lead to overweight/out of shape faster than anything. I personally can't drink diet because the aspertame (think splenda) gives me a headache.

weight management in general - I think we all know the answer. Eat less, exercise more, don't run to excess in anything. Why do we pay these diet people money? 😉

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply