database consistency error?

• Error: 7987, Severity: 22, State: 3

A possible database consistency problem has been detected on database 'xxx'.  DBCC CHECKDB and DBCC CHECKCATALOG should be run on database 'xxx'.

I’ve already run DBCC CHECKCATALOG and received no error messages; the db doesn’t show up as suspect and I haven’t heard any complaints from users (yet), but this has shown up 1 or 2 times in the early morning for the last 5 days, seemingly in response to a SELECT stored procedure running on the db.  Any ideas?

• Have you run CHECKDB ? If not, run it at non-business hours.

• checkdb is recommended. It is a more exhaustive check and if it finds anything, you probably need to call Microsoft.

• I have similar situation. I dbcc checked DB and found no error. Hardware doesn't give me any error indication. user has no complaints. But the error occured on sql log couple times a day. What else I could do to trace down ? Many thanks advance.

• If your SQL Servers system event log and application event log do not indicate any type of disk hardware error you are not out of the woods. You could also be experiencing intermittent RAM failures. If you can afford the down time I would suggest running Memory diagnostics after reseating the chips. Usually SQL error log indications of db corruption without any physical disk errors reported are a good indication of faulty memory.

Also you do not mention whether or not your database resides on local disk, local array disks or SAN disks. I have seen instances where databases resding on local array disks have experienced this type of intermittent failure/corruption. This is usually caused by a controller or disk going bad but you may not know it if the system  guys did not install all of the monitoring/managment software for you particular HW platform.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Rudy,

Thanks for the reply. Great help ! The SQL DB is on local disk array. WIll check into it.

Eugene

• Here is another link that may be of assistance:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828337

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply