Database hung "Loading"

• My database is in "Loading" mode and I cannot cancel. How can I get it out of "Loading" status?

• Did you execute a Restore?

• Yes, a Restore was started almost 24 hours ago. Usually completes in an hour or so.

• quote:

Yes, a Restore was started almost 24 hours ago

My rates are very reasonable, what's your bosses name.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• Do you have a backup that you can fall back to?

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• This is a test database on our test server, do you think a re-boot is in order?

• use QA to restore a db. If you used the last backup file, run restore database dbname with recovery.

You should use the recovery after restoring the last backup file, and use norecovery option when still restoring the backup files. After restoring the last log you change the option to recovery and leave the db operational and open, and change the status of loading.

• No, your backup sounds like it's looking for another transaction log . Like Racosta said from Query analyzer type:

RESTORE DATABASE yourdatabasenamehere With Recovery

Write back your results, and don;t forget to refresh EnterpriseManager

quote:

This is a test database on our test server, do you think a re-boot is in order?

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• Can't do anything with the database:

Server: Msg 927, Level 14, State 2, Line 1

Database 'Cptrain' cannot be opened. It is in the middle of a restore.

• From master - -Did you get this after you ran

RESTORE DATABASE yourdatabasenamehere With Recovery

quote:

Can't do anything with the database:

Server: Msg 927, Level 14, State 2, Line 1

Database 'Cptrain' cannot be opened. It is in the middle of a restore.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• Hi John,

I ran from Master and get the following - database is still marked 'Loading' -

File 'Changepoint' was only partially restored by a database or file restore. The entire file must be successfully restored before applying the log.

Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

• At this point I would kill the the spid restoring the database.

Does sp_who2 show you the restore in progress? If it does I would kill it, then delete the database. Then use QA to restore the database back again.

Where did you get the backup from? If possible look at the job history or maintenance plan that produced it. If you can't use this backup can you reproduce another one or go back to an older one?

quote:

Hi John,

I ran from Master and get the following - database is still marked 'Loading' -

File 'Changepoint' was only partially restored by a database or file restore. The entire file must be successfully restored before applying the log.

Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• ps don't wait 24 hrs .

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• Thanks John! I deleted the database and will try a new restore! Never found the pid.....

• Please keep us posted!

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply