Database Mail and email contacts

• We are in the process of migrating from SQL 2k to 2008 R2. Currently, we have hundreds of jobs and dts packages that exec xp_sendmail. I have successfully made a copy of a dts package and altered it to use dbmail, used Migration Wizard to move the package, and used the Transfer Jobs task in an SSIS package to move the corresponding job. My problem is that all of our hundreds of email contacts exist in Outlook. Since MAPI is now out in 2008, where do our contacts live? The job will successfully execute the migrated DTS packages and send the email if I change the recipient from a contact name to its explicit email address. I will already be doing a ton of editing to change xp_sendmail to dbmail, and also change some of the parameters. But I'd prefer not to have to change the contact names to email addresses if there is a way around it.

Thanks

• I am not aware of any options that are going to make it easy for you. I would suggest going ahead and redesigning your email process for SSIS. Since 2008 is no longer under support by Microsoft you will be doing this again when you migrate your SSIS packages to SQL Server 2012 or 2014.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply