Database Mail and SQL Agent

• Okay I give! I am trying to set up Database Mail in SQL Agent......no big deal, right? Wrong!

I have a public, default profile configured under Database Mail that sends a message when you send a test message. I can send a message using sp_send_dbmail without a problem. So mail should be configured properly, right?

Down in Sql Agent, I enabled email profile, selected database mail and selected the default, public profile above. Everything seems okay, except the Test button is grayed out. Hmmm! When I try to set an email notification on a job, I am unable to create a new operator. In fact, I have a blank dropdown button. I have stopped/started the Agent service repeatedly, and even rebooted the server just for grins. Still no test button, and still no ability to create a new operator.

Something is amiss somewhere, but I'm out of ideas of what else to try!

• I just wanted to post the solution, in case anyone else coming from SQL 2000 to 2005 bumps up against the same thing. It's really stupid.......I almost hate to post it, but here goes anyway!

First, the button issue for Test is there for those setting up SQL Mail in SQL 2005. It's not very intuitive, because I assumed it was there to test the mail for both SQL Mail and Database Mail in SQL Agent. Anyway, the button should be greyed out when setting up database mail in SQL 2005 Agent.

Second, I didn't create an operator when setting up the Database Mail to run under SQL Agent. I guess in SQL 2000 it always just created one for me, or maybe I did actually create an operator but I just don't remember doing so. Anyway, once you create an operator, the dropdown should populate just fine when setting up a notification on a job.

Anyway.......hope this helps somebody else somewhere down the road.

Linda

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply