Database Mail on 64bit SQL 2005 - Does it work?

• "SQL Server Agent Cannot Send Job Status Notifications and Alert Notifications via Database Mail on 64-Bit SQL Server".

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910228

"SQL Server Agent is not integrated with Database Mail in the 64-bit edition of SQL Server."

I was under the impression...based on my research into the problem and finding the above directly from MS....that DB Mail didnt work on the 64bit version of SQL 2005....

I'm hearing though that some have gotten it to work. I'm currently running sql 2005 in a stand alone mode...not part of a domain....though it DOES have relay access to our internal SMTP server.  THe test emails work but the alerts from our jobs do not make it out. We get errors in error log such as "the mail systemn failed to initialize" any help or pointers would be appreciated...thanks you

New to the DBA world...thank you for your help!,

IanR

• I know there are some issues here, but can't remember. This was brought up at TechEd last year in a talk by Euan Garden. I pinged him and if he has time, perhaps he'll answer.

Or write about it in a blog. http://blogs.msdn.com/euanga/default.aspx

• In RTM DB mail does work on 64 bit bit, agent using db mail on 64 bit does not.

This is fixed in SP1

• Thank you Euan. 

IanR

• SP1 CTP is available now

• I'm running 64 bit SQL Server 2005 Standard on a Dell 64 bit machine running Windows Server 2003 and DB mail works just fine. The only trick I found was that the account must be an active public email account and you have to restart the SQL Server Agent once you have DB mail configured.

Good luck,

jim

• The only trick I found was that the account must be an active public email account and you have to restart the SQL Server Agent once you have DB mail configured.

So the account I use for the profile has to have a public email address on the mail server I am relaying off of? Or the credentials I use for the SMTP realy has to be those of a public email address on the SMTP server?

IanR

• I believe the account used for the profile has to be a public email account, and the credentials used for the relay have to match the public account used for the profile.

I just used my personal email account and have had no problems. I do get emails from myself, which may seem a little weird at first, but it works for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply