Database Mail - Times out

• Hello All,

I have a lovely program called "TreeSize" on my SQL Server that can send an email out via SMTP just fine. I decided to try setting up Database Mail so I can get email alerts when Backups complete, etc. I am following these steps: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1100/setting-up-database-mail-for-sql-server/

Again, my TreeSize Application can send mail no problem, but when Database Mail tries to send a test mail the log says it's timing out, they are both pointing at the same SMTP Server, same user account for authentication, etc.

I have verified the SMTP Server, Port, SSL Check box, Username, and password are all the same, I'm copying and pasting them from TreeSize.

The exact SQL Logged error is: The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 3 (2020-12-09T15:24:55). Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (The operation has timed out.).)

What else could be going on in SQL preventing this from working?

Other troubleshooting steps I've done as add my user account to the DBMail list:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/database-mail/configure-sql-server-agent-mail-to-use-database-mail?view=sql-server-ver15

MSSQL 2019 Standard Edition

Thanks in advance.

-Mark
    MSSQL 2019 Standard, Azure Hosted. Techie/Sysadmin by trade; Three years as a "DBA" now.

• Probably one for your exchange/windows team and the networks team to look at.  There may be something different to how the SMTP server is accepting requests from TreeSize vs SQL, probably a setting to say only allow request from certain exe's etc.

Other than that you may have to change the timeout setting for the account

execute msdb.dbo.sysmail_update_account_sp @Account_id = 3, @Timeout= 30, @No_credential_change = 1

• Thank you, I didn't see your post until just now, but I removed the SSL option and tested then with Ports 25 and 587 to send mail and that worked. I'll leave for now, but will investigate switching back to SSL later.

-Mark
    MSSQL 2019 Standard, Azure Hosted. Techie/Sysadmin by trade; Three years as a "DBA" now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply